RE: Aldi Sat Nav with GPS - ShereKhan
I've just been to Aldi and seen a Sat Nav with GPS for £229.
On the advert picture it states that its a Medion product powered by Samsung and it has a 256Mb MMC card.

Its not the PDA type they have offered in the past. It looks like something you can hold in your hand or stick to the windscreen.

Is this good value? Or am I wasting my time?

uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_231.html {Link added by DD}

--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
RE: Aldi Sat Nav with GPS - carl_a
Its good value but its a specifically designed product, if it uses special software then you might be unable to get updated maps in the future.

ebuyer.com sell an Acer PDA with in-built GPS and mapping software for £236, that would be a better buy IMHO.
RE: Aldi Sat Nav with GPS - buzbee
Someone who was looking for GPS has just emailed me to say, he has discovered the Medion 100 GPS Navigation System [for sale] that contains the maps for the whole of europe. "It also operated on Post Codes, street level, voice prompts etc Halford's price was £349.99 I found one on Ebay absolutely new for £250 plus £10 recorded delivery post which I have just bought and it is due for delivery in 3/4 days time."

I know no more than this and await being updated with interest.

The Aldi one does not show a model number. Perhaps the next step is to go see if the Halford's site lists it and its spec and compare. Is it the same? I am a bit sceptical about post code performance but am will to be convinced.

will = willing
Comparing pictures on Aldi and Halfords it looks like it could be the PNA 100 that does mapping at street level including Europe.

Halford's want £300 for the PNA 175 which, according to their website, does not come with Europe street level.

So it DOES look worth findng out more. OH dear, it looks like my emailer is not going to be pleased. :-(
RE: Aldi Sat Nav with GPS - Adam {P}
My Uncle recently bought a Medion something or other. I'm guessing it's the one your friend has bought Buzbee as he said it was £350 in Halfords.

He managed to get it for £300 and said he would have paid twice that. He absolutely loves it. I take it that it's the one that doubles as a Pocket PC? If so, I've had a play with it - nice bit of kit.
--
Adam
RE: Aldi Sat Nav with GPS - David Horn
If it's Medion, then yes, it doubles as a Pocket PC. However, it might not be 100% compatible with some applications as the button layout differs from Microsoft's specifications. In addition, there's a brand new version of Windows Mobile coming out in a month or two, so it might be worth hanging on until the offer rolls around again.
doubles as a Pocket PC.

Where is the keyboard? Do you buy a plug-in one?

I see that the Aldi site says 'Microsoft windows powered'
www.pocketpc.com

Pocket PC runs a version of Windows designed for touchscreens. However, you can't run normal Windoze programs on it, though they can be adapted fairly easily. Keyboards are available, but very rarely built in.
RE: Aldi Sat Nav with GPS - Altea Ego
As far as I can see this Medion device is NOT MS Pocket PC, but is imbedded windows. This is windows on ROM and does not have the normal application interfaces.
RF: Have you tried any of these Medion Nav thingies?
Funnily enough, I had a poke about with the Medion one mentioned above in Halfords on Sunday. Seemed remarkably like a rebadged Mio. Seemed to be well built, Cant say I used it in anger tho.

OK, next time I'll actually look at the thing itself... I was thinking about the Medion ones Halfords stock.
RE: Aldi Sat Nav with GPS - martint123
I had a previous Medion gps device with seperate gps mouse compared to this ones built-in one.
It was a normal PDA running microsofts Pocket PC software from rom. It had all the PDA apps like pocket word, pocket excel, media player, IE etc and can sync with desktop apps.

There are some of these PDA's that just have GPS software on them, but I'm not sure about the Aldi one - with it saying it has an MP3 player, then I'd guess its a proper pda.
RE: Aldi Sat Nav with GPS - ShereKhan
Hmm,

This chap must work for Aldi as its the exact same photo.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...W

I think its got an embedded ROM too. The MP3 must also be an embedded feature.
--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
After further searching I now have more information on the Medion SatNav. Its case, according to the model being sold, can be landscape or portrait (easier to slip in the pocket) and may or may not have a 'mobile looking aerial' protruding from the uppermost side, and typically costs £349. Much same as Tom Tom 300. The Medion spec. I saw was:

* Pocket PC PDA with Microsoft 2003 software
* Complete GPS Navigation System convenient for cars or cyclists
* Satellite based positioning (GPS)
* Integrated GPS Receiver
* Maps for UK and Western Europe included
* Samsung 266MHz processor
* TFT Display with 65,536 colours
* SD/MMC card slot
* 7 languages selectable
* Speed indicator
* Integrates with MS Outlook address book
* Compass
* Car routing with velocity profile

Software Included

* Microsoft Synchronization Software and Outlook 2002
* Pocket Word
* Pocket Excel
* Pocket Internet Explorer
* Email Inbox
* Windows Media Player 9 for Pocket PC
* Mapping of the UK and Western Europe (Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain & Portugal, Benelux)
* Games included: Solitare and Jawbreaker

Looks like there is room for some serious testing to see which works the better Medion or Tom Tom? (TT 300 does not have Euro maps, but it might possibly still be preferred for UK only use?)
we looking a the same one Buzbee?
The spec. listed above, RF, comes from one shown on a website called medionshop.co.uk. It does not the mp3 player and uses portrait orientation. Its' type number is MD95025.
Price is £349.
A yes - that one is a Pocket PC based jobie, different from the Aldi one currently an offer.
Again I think its a rebadged MIO
Yes the spec. details here are for a portrait one that looks to be the same as the picture shown on the Halfords site. It has a round stub aerial, whereas the Aldi one is Landscape and has a flat squarish aerial -- at least I assume it is the aerial.

Medion have a place at Swindon where you can telephone for help, if there is a problem. My emailer says his Medion is German. Does that sound like a MIO?
Right I understand the device on sale at Aldi now 09/06 is a Medion PNA150 or a PNA175. It sounds like the 150.

If it is the 150 it a chasis made by MIO and used by Navman.
Runs on windows CE (not pocket PC) and can be upgraded and tweaked quite easily.

If its the 175 it can not be upgraded as the firmware has been locked.

And buzbee the one you are talking at Halfords about is a pocket PC device again made by MIO.