G-reg Passat. gearbox removal probs. - 78c20
I have to remove the gearbox on my 1990 Passat 1800cc to change the clutch. I have removed the drive-shafts ( at their respective flanges )and everything else that i thought could possibly be in the way but i still can't get the 'box out! The bell-housing is not clearing the fly-wheel enough for it to drop down because the drive-shaft flange is in the way. Where am i going wrong?
Regards
78c20

Helllp!!!!!!!! - 78c20
Anyone?
G-reg Passat. gearbox removal probs. - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

Does that arrangement mean that the engine and box have to be removed by an engine winch because of the chassis.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
I would'nt have thought so as the gear-box would clear the chassis if i could remove it from the engine. I'm thinking that, maybe, the drive-shaft has a roll-pin holding it into the 'box. What d'ya think.
Regards
G-reg Passat. gearbox removal probs. - Alec
Checking the things you might not have done:
Haynes says :

"Remove the front engine mount bracket." (After supporting the engine with a hoist)

"Move the engine and gbox to the right as far as possible and lift them slightly on the left hand side.
Remove the transmission support bracket arm
Push the engine towards the bulkhead and remove the transmission support mounting bracket."

Then the engine and trans can be split and the trans removed downwards.

Hope this might help.

Rgds
Alec
G-reg Passat. gearbox removal probs. - dougielogan
You have to take off the offside flange, it is an allen key or it might be a torx, you will loose some oil but that can't be helped.
I've already seperated the two flange-faces but still have clearence problems with the flange/slider that is still attached to box.
G-reg Passat. gearbox removal probs. - steveo3002
make sure youve taken off the rear mount completely, then when its all loose turn the box 1/4 turn so that the drive flanges are up, it'l come out then :)

let me know how it goes

p.s getting it back in is worse, much worse..id advise taking off the front mount and let the engine danlge really low
G-reg Passat. gearbox removal probs. - sierraman
If I remember rightly there is a large bolt in the centre of the flange.Undo this and you can remove the flange.Drain g/box first or oil will spill out.