Tyre woes - Robin Reliant
Yesterday I had a long day in the car, mostly on A roads where I was able to cruise at 60 plus "making progress" when conditions allowed. Late afternoon as I turned from an NSL road onto a minor lane the car suddenly started to patter quite badly. I put that down to the change to a rougher surface and continued nearly a mile to the village I was visiting. As I slowed to a stop, the patter turned into a heavy vibration, and I got out to find the nearside rear rapidly deflating with smoke pouring from it and two hand sized chunks of tread missing. Talk about a close one! The tyre was otherwise ok, with about 3mm of tread remaining and I don't remember kerbing it at any time.

Luckily I was only about 200 yards from my BiL's house so I was able to limp down and use a trolly jack instead of having to rely on the toy that Ford supply. This has made the week a very expensive one for rubber, as I was booked in to have both fronts replaced this morning and I had both tyres on the bike renewed on Wednesday.

And my shoes need new soles, to add insult to injury.
Tyre woes - L'escargot
<< As I slowed to a stop, the
patter turned into a heavy vibration, and I got out to
find the nearside rear rapidly deflating with smoke pouring << from it
and two hand sized chunks of tread missing. Talk about
a close one! The tyre was otherwise ok, with about 3mm
of tread remaining and I don't remember kerbing it at any
time.

Some cheapo tyres are only good for slow-speed agricultural trailer use. What make were yours?
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
The one that failed was a Pirelli. I don't know it's history because it was on when I bought the car 30000 miles ago, but definately not a Hoo Flung Dung Tiwanese cheepo.
Tyre woes - Altea Ego
30,000 miles ago? well its probably had its day then!
30000 is not excessive for a rear tyre on a fwd car, certainly not enough to cause failure.
Tyre woes - frostbite
May not be excessive but it's quite an achievement.