wierd tyre wear on mk2 polo???? - steveo3002
i had 2 brand new front tyres and the tracking done on our mk2 polo around 1year/12k ago..when it was new to us

ive just noticed the outside of the passenger tyre is bare and the inside of the drivers side is bare...along with the fact theyre fairly worn after 12k too

i was under the impression that faulty tracking would reveal itself as worn outer or inner on both tyres...not one of each

does this mean the car is bent somehow? it drives straight and nice enough, no evidence of a crash or damaged suspension
wierd tyre wear on mk2 polo???? - turbo11
Do you REGULARLY check your tyre pressures.Continued driving on under inflated tyres will result in high wear on the tyre edges.
wierd tyre wear on mk2 polo???? - steveo3002
yeah i check them often, wouldnt underinflation cause wear on both edges of the tyre??

it confuses me that one side was worn on the outer edge..and the other on the inner
wierd tyre wear on mk2 polo???? - Civic8
Incorrectly adjusted track rods would cause it.After tracking was done. Though it would have shown up long before now.Unless tyres were not checked on regular basis?.Or lower suspension problem though that would give some warning
--
Steve
wierd tyre wear on mk2 polo???? - Rishab C
If the tracking was out, they would be worn symetrically, both insides or both outsides, otherwise the driver would simply compensate by holding the steering wheel crooked.

Could just be the way tyres wear in the UK, front nearside outside edge due to roundabouts.
wierd tyre wear on mk2 polo???? - Peter D
Do you live in Milton Keynes ?? Why I hear you ask, It's due to the number of roundabouts and driving too fast round them. Or this could be a broken road spring probably front but check the rears and measure the ride height all round. Regards Peter
wierd tyre wear on mk2 polo???? - John S
I believe this sort of one-sided wear is quite possible. I had a brand new Ford which would destroy the outer edge of the NSF in 3k miles, with no effect on any other tyres. Took ages to sort out - dealers couldn't do it, they just kept telling me the tracking was OK, and blaming the way I entered my drive. An independent full 4 wheel alignment check (paid for by Ford after a lot of fuss) found various alignment problems. The car was an absolute dog and I sold it shortly after so unfortunately I can't comment on long term benefits, but it seemed better. I'd get the car in for a similar check - these days ATS can do an alignment check which covers all four wheels.

JS
wierd tyre wear on mk2 polo???? - Carse
In wheel tracking operation, Isn't this indicative of the toe-in and toe-out being miss-aligned?

Carse