Rover 620 Diesel - Advice - owenP
I am looking for a newer Diesel to replace my Citroen ZX and two of the cars I am considering at the moment are the Rover 620 Diesel and the Peugeot 405. I am familiar with the XUD engine as have had Peugeots and Citroens before with this engine - and have found it to be reliable.

The car I am not sure about is the Rover - because I have had no experience of the engine, and don't know anyone who has had one either. Is this engine fairly reliable? The economy and performance figures look better on paper than the Peugeot but am not sure about the reliability of the Rover - nor potential problems to look for when I go and view the car.

A couple of cars I am interested in are the Rover Diesel with around 90k on the clock and a full stamped up service book - and a 405 with 120k and FSH - both the same age and the same price. I know the XUD engine could potentially go on for at least twice that mileage again maybe more, if it is looked after - but what about the Rover?

Many thanks,

Owen
Rover 620 Diesel - Advice - Armitage Shanks {p}
Here is a link to a site discussing XUD diesels and possible problems.

homepage.ntlworld.com/agmpcrepair/puginfo/405/405p...m
Rover 620 Diesel - Advice - Xileno {P}
The Rover engine is the L Series direct injection unit. It's a very tough and reliable engine, with an impressive turn of speed and decent economy.

The disadvantage is it's a bit noisy compared to modern diesels. You will find the XUD more refined but remember the XUD is indirect injection.