Power Steering Fluid Top up - Leon on Derv
I check my power steering fuid about once every month, I needed to top it up last night for the first time. It only took about an egg cup full to bring it from min on the stick to max.

Two things, where would I loose the fluid to. Serviced the car last saturday and there was no evidence of leakage.

Secondly, when I bought the new fluid from Seat, I was advised this fluid should be changed every two years. The dealer that serviced my car neither did this in the service nor recommended that it should be done.

Is this accurate, if so where do I drain it from???

Leon
Power Steering Fluid Top up - thallium81
There are several places where a fluid leak is likely but here is a cautionary tale. Years ago my car developed a small leak from the power steering and I topped it up about once every month or so, I noticed the pump discharge hose was discoloured with fluid but did nothing, then one day whilst turning out of the old Mersey tunnel I lost power steering, the hose had detached from its crimped end and deposited the liquid all over the engine compt. Moral, if you find a minor weep get it fixed.
Power Steering Fluid Top up - Cyd
It is highly unlikely that your car manufacturer specified a two year PAS fluid change. It is not normally necessary for the life of the car. Obviously there is a list as long as your arm of abnormal circumstances that could precipitate a change.

Check your service manual you got with the car. If it makes no mention of a PAS change then I would suggest your garage is touting for unnecessary work.

I would say one egg cup full is not yet cause for alarm. Make sure you always check the fluid according to the manufacturers instructions - they'll be in the handbook somewhere. It is often with engine off and cold. Before you start up in the morning is a good time, or in the works car park during lunch (provided you're parked on the level. Check it frequently and under the same conditions each time if poss. If you believe the fluid level is falling, have it checked very carefully - pinhole leaks in hoses can happen - and they don't fix themselves.

If you need to look for a small leak, have all hoses thoroughly cleaned (an underside steam clean, perhaps). Then liberally apply talculm powder to all hoses pipes and joints - rub it on so it coats everything. Then look very carefully for a red stain in the talc over the next few days. You can get spray on leak detect powder, but I've found talc effective and cheap.
Power Steering Fluid Top up - Leon on Derv
Thanks guys, never heard of the talc trick for spotting a pinhole leak. Sensibile when you think about it, was worth posting just for that....

Cheers,
Leon
Power Steering Fluid Top up - David Horn
I have to admit I haven't been able to check the PAS fluid level in my car for over a year - the plastic cap is stuck on and I can't get it off! You can't quite make out the level through the side of the container, but it still seems to work OK. :)