Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - RoyWolfey
I was due to collect my new Golf Gti on Monday, but the car has failed to get through PDI due to a fault with the DSG Gearbox.

The Dealership were initially unable to diagnose the problem but after consulting VW have ordered an new Gearbox ECU. The ECU has been ordered but I have been given no indication on the timescale for its arrival.

I'm very dissapointed with the situation.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - Ex-Moderator
I understand the disappointment, but better that than they give you a defective vehicle.

I would pursue a time commitment though.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - ihpj
Course, one way to look at this would be to say that the PDI (and VW) have done their bit. The DSG box does have it's foibles I understand, but it is supposed to be a very nice piece of kit...however, depending on how mercenary you are, you could use the situation to your advantage and start to hint that everyday the car is not available to you, you are having to make alternative rtavel arrangements and the inconvenience of it all etc.

I know that I would be looking for them to give me a free first Service, more accessories, tank of fuel, courtesy car or something - but thats just the way I am ;)

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - Aprilia
The Dealership were initially unable to diagnose the problem but after
consulting VW have ordered an new Gearbox ECU.

Hmm, ECU replacement. When they can't think of anything else...
Hmm, ECU replacement. When they can't think of anything else...

>>
Just what you wanted to hear eh? ;)

-----
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - Altea Ego
Well Either VW have done a very thorough PDI or its a very significant problem!
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - blue_haddock
Well Either VW have done a very thorough PDI or its
a very significant problem!

My money's on it being a big problem
Could be a warning light?
The problem originaly manifested itself as I jerky gearchange.

Thanks for your replies. After the dissapointment of the fault with my new vehicle, reading the forum today has cheered me up.
Perhaps the problem with my vehcile is due to a rogue handling Pixie intefering with the DSG Gearbox elfs.
Its probably low on magic fairies due to a leak.

Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - jlo
I would love to know how you get on with the GTI.

My order is placed as well for a GTI DSG wich I hope to get in October. Looking foward to it (As long as they don't all prove to have dogy gear boxes!!!)

Cheers

Jlo
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - frazerjp
I once saw on ebay a crash-damaged Audi TT that had the DSG gearbox. The seller quoted that the gearbox was responsible for his accident on the M23 or M25 cant remember which, but if that was the case i would be very curious in having an VAG vehicle with this transmission!!!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - cjehuk
Yes. The gearbox can be responsible for a loss of control. I can't think of a single way that a DSG (or any transmission for that matter) can fail such as to cause an accident, bar having it fall out of the car. Having driven DSG TTs, A3s and Tourans I can honestly say I have not experienced any odd behaviour from the box. A couple of early A3 Diesels would 'die' at idle when moving the gear selector but that was due to a batch of faulty sensors I believe. You drive them just like an automatic and just like any other auto when you floor it shifts down. The DSG is a good gearbox, and not totally dissimilar in design to the BMW SMG or F1 gearboxes though both of those use a Sequential gear selector while the DSG is closer to an H-Gate box. I would pick a car with DSG for my next car, and honestly believe a paddle shifting DSG or Automatic car is the best compromise for modern driving enabling you to have fun and shift down gears for corners easily, while relaxed town driving is possible.

Chris
I note that the Audi TT that Frazerjp refers to, is live on e-bay at the moment.

I've been checking out the TT forums and it does appear that the DSG gearbox has not been without its issues.

However, and optimistically speaking I have not heard of anyone else having an issue specifically with a Golf Gti DSG. Hopefully this is just a one off. I?ll report back with the outcome of the technical issue.

Once I have taken delivery, I shall post my experiences of the DSG Gti for the benefit of Jlo and anyone else who may be interested. Having test-driven the Golf Gti DSG I can only agree with cjehuk?s comments with regard to the DSG gearbox being an excellent compromise for modern driving. When SWMBO is driving the car on her daily commute the auto mode of the gearbox will make her journey a lot more bearable, but on the odd occasion that the road conditions allow the car to be used to its full potential the car will can be used in manual mode with few drawbacks when compared with a conventional manual.

I should add that the Internet broker and dealership are doing their utmost to minimise my inconvenience, and as such they have provided me with a hire car.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - cjehuk
Said TT on eBay does not even have a DSG gearbox from what I can see, Assuming it's the one for sale at around the £10k mark. It's a 1.8T 180Hp varient with the standard 6 Speed Manual. I have not heard of any specific failures with the DSG that have been mechanical, there have been software based gremlins for sure as witness by the mysterious stalling DSG TDIs. I only ever had 8P4A (2004) chassis A3 TDIs "stall" at idle, the 8P5A (2005) chassis cars all were flawless of the ones I drove and our Touran DSG TDI has had no problems either

Regards

Chris
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - jlo
Thanks Wolfy,

I have only test driven the manual but am a rep and will be spending a lot of time driving in Birmingham. I think an auto will make life much easier.

When I am stop starting in a trafic jam on on the M5 or M42 dipping the clutch can get very tiresom.

A freind of mine has got the Audi 3.2 quatro with the DSG gear box and he loves it.

Cheers

Jlo
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - Pugugly {P}
E-bay 4552139406
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - mfarrow
E-bay cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4552...6

Well I'm not too sure, the car is 5 years old after all, but it does seem a bit strange for a gearbox to just fail like that.

Maybe it was a clutch failure? My mate's old Xsara's (may it rot in hell) clutch failed, causing a hole in the gearbox. Again at motorway cruising speed, but fortunately the spring that failed hit fairly high up, causing only a little oil to drain out.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - frazerjp
>I note that the Audi TT that Frazerjp refers to, is live on e-bay at the moment.

The actual TT i mentioned about was on ebay over a month ago, unless you're refering to a similar vehicle?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Having driven DSG TTs, A3s and Tourans...

>>
Touran with a DSG box? :) Time to go for a test drive methinks...

-----
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - colinh
VW reported last month that over 150,000 DSG boxes have been ordered to date - I'm just hoping they've sorted out the teething problems by now.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - Mudguts
I think the seller of that TT has an 'axe to grind', so to speak, the whole aution is geared to making a statement about the car.

Having said that, if the same happened to me (if indeed it did) I'd be a bit cheesed off and if I'd had a poor response from Audi, probably do the same.
If you want to get ahead - get a Van!
The car is 5 years old, its has done 60,000 miles. Its is probably half way through its life span.

At what point does the manufacturer stop being responsible for paying for all the faults that crop up?

As always, this ebay add is just the situation as presented by one party. - we dont know the other 50%
Had a call from VW Customer services today to advise that the replacement Gearbox ECU to enable my new Golf GTi to be delivered will be at the Dealership on 10th June.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - daveyjp
I've now done over 2,000 miles in my DSG equipped A3 2.0 TDi and no probs whatsoever. Just stick it in auto and off you go, I leave the paddles for the twisty bits. Only observation I have with it is it does kick down to 5th a little too readily on motorways - 6th gear has plenty of torque at speeds above 60mph so 5th isn't required. I now move over to manual mode and it stays in 6th - if I need kickdown either paddle shift, or push the pedal to the floor and kickdown is activated by a button under the accelerator.
It will be three weeks tomorrow since I was first informed about fault on 'my' new, yet to be delivered Golf Gti DSG. The new part arrived in on Friday but did not cure the fault.

Also, I received my 'VW Assistance' breakdown cover card over the weekend which expires 12 Months after the car was due to be delivered not taking in to consideration the three weeks I have already been without the vehicle.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - Martin Sweeney
I'd feel uneasy getting a brand new car that couldn't pass it's PDI after 3 weeks in the workshop. You could still be here 2 months from now whilst they order, wait and replace this and that. IMO it sounds like you've been patient enough and now it's time to politely ask for a replacement GTi pronto or your money back.
I would be thinking that what we have here is a pip, soon to grow into a lemon. Not a happy start the new car owning experience.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - codefarm
Walk away now while you still can
I have now decided to 'walk away' from this particular vehicle which is still in the same 'Non fit' state that it was over three weeks ago.

The 'Retailer' had re-ordered a replacement vehichle for me to the same specification, the only drawback being a further wait for the replacement vehicle to be built.

Thanks you all for your comments.
Due to collect Golf GTi DSG Monday - Pugugly {P}
I was going to suggest you did this, I know its hard but the wait for the new car is nothing compared to the risk of buying a lemon. You'd listen to every little noise and wonder. Good for you for letting your head rule your heart.