Buying a car - VAT and disablity - CM
With products bought by the disabled, VAT is not charged. If a disabled person was to buy a car, would it be possible to claim back (or not pay) the VAT on this.

I know that there is Motability.
Buying a car - VAT and disablity - SlidingPillar
Not quite correct.

If a disabled person buys a product as a result of their disability, and the product is for their sole use, then yes, they can complete a declaration and not pay the VAT.

True example, I'm as good as deaf, so I bought a flashing light and bed vibrating fire alarm. I did not pay any VAT although it was still expensive.

But to record subtitles on TV, the best way is to use a set top box and watch digital. I have and do, but as the item can be used by the rest of the population - I had to pay the VAT.

My guess is a car adapted for the disabled (usually wheelchair bound) the conversion work may be VAT free, but no way will the car be I'd have thought. Any VAT consultants here?
Buying a car - VAT and disablity - Altarf
The rules are far from straightforward.

Details are in VAT Notice 701/59 'Motor vehicles for disabled people' which is available from www.hmrc.gov.uk or from their helpline 0845 010 9000.

Buying a car - VAT and disability - Timaru
You have to be a full time wheelchair user and the car has to be adapted to enable you to enter, leave or drive the vehicle.

You do not have to be the driver but the car can only be used for your benefit.

In my case the adaption consists of a "grab handle" in front of the passenger seat so I can pull myself along my sliding board from the wheelchair into the passenger seat.

The cost of adaption was only a couple of hundred quid but I could not use the car without it.