Cold & Omega Doors - robert
Hi all,

I'm writing to see whether any of you have had bad experiences with Omega door handles in the cold.

The problem is that the door opens ok, but won't shut - it just bounces open again! Eventually it will shut but only after the warmth of the sun or application of quantities of luke warm water on the outside of the door skin around the lock. Using the key to help here makes no difference - so I think its a mechanical as opposed to a central locking problem.

Am I alone with these problems?

In anticipation & happy new year to you all.

Robert
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - crazed idiot
there is water in the lock mechanism, squirt release oil into the lock and mechanism via the straw you get with the can
oil has a much lower freezing point than water
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - robert
Good point - crazed ...., BUT - It unlocks perfectly & just won't shut - which is strange as there is a hell of a lot of momentum behind a closing car door. I may well give your idea a try.

I was wondering if am alone with this problem, do other cars suffer (first time for me in 24 years of driving (makes me sould like one of harry Enfield's Old Gits!)) as I've never had the problem before on cars OTHER than Omegas. Are there other suffering Omega drivers out there!crazed idiot wrote:
>
> there is water in the lock mechanism, squirt release oil into
> the lock and mechanism via the straw you get with the can
> oil has a much lower freezing point than water
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - Rob Govier
Pug 405 is just the same. Will open but won't shut and bounces back off the striker pin.

Extreme situations have called for a waft of a blowlamp to thaw out quickly in order to get the car away on time with doors secured

A pre-emeptive strike with the WD40 or similar moiture repellent appears to do the trick.

Yes, most baffling, as to what prevents the latch reaching its correct position.

rg
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - Peter M.
Had this problem occasionally with my Pug. - I found a solution by depressing the locking pin on the door and pulling(or pushing) it closed. It closed OK and the pin reverted to its normal position. I don't know if the Omega's got a pin, but hope this is of interest.
P.
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - Vin
I do indeed have an Omega and have no problem. I did have the usual problem of failing to open the drivers door using central locking, solved with WD40.

Try WDing around the visible part of the lock on the door end itself. That *might* be the source of the problem. Or build yourself a garage.
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - David W
I've suffered this with loads of cars over the years. Can be a real problem in -5 or below when you use water to de-ice the windows and it freezes solid everywhere it runs.

PS. Where is the "degrees" character on the keyboard?

David
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - Chris H
The ASCII code for the degree sign is 248 so to include it in text hold down the ALT key and type in 248 on the keypad. When you let go of the ALT key the degree sign should be there.

Chris
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - John R
Arrrrgh.... Its the Alt Key not the CTRL key.... But I still did not know the number...
Chris H is right.

John R
Thanks Chris but it doesn't do it here, or have I messed up?

David
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - John R
David,

the only way I can put º symbols in (eg 100º) is to,
From MS-Word 97...
click INSERT menu,
select SYMBOL, from the Symbol 'tool' (is a bit like Character Map from Windows 3.1 - remember that!)
Insert the º symbol into a blank Doc
Copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl + C)
Then Paste it here (Ctrl + V) likr so...
ººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº
There may be a better way, but I cant find the Ctrl + Number sequence.

Sorry it's not motering related, but I was motering then...

John R
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - Brill
> "PS. Where is the "degrees" character on the keyboard?"

Option, K (on a Mac)

Stu.
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - Mark (Brazil)

lets°see°if°mine°works°
Mark,

Ah°it°does°now.

Wasn't using the numeric keypad before. It doesn't work on the number keys though.

Why I wonder?

David
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - Ian Hart
Robert

My wife has the same problem with her Citroen ZX. A quick blast of her hair dryer in to the door mechanism does the trick. I've since given it a good dose of WD40 into the mechanism (not the lock) and haven't had any more problems yet (fingers crossed).

Cheers
Ian
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - Nicholas Moore
Perhaps I'm being cheeky but:

Don't buy an Omega - it's is the second most unreliable car according to the Consumer's Assoc, much worse than a Vectra even. Second only to the Jag XJ series which is complete pants with 1 in 4 breaking down every year.
Re: Cold & Omega Doors - robert
Yes,

You are being cheeky - what do you drive? I'm sure I could make some smart arsed comment about that!

Robert