306 d turbo lacks power. - Dan's 306
Can anybody out there help me out. I bought the missus a 306 D Turbo (R reg facelift model) and was quite impressed that I got rid of my 205 1.9 GTi (why???) and got a D Turbo for myself, comsmetically enhanced. (p reg, mk1 body). My car looks quite impressive (I think) but lacks the power of the missus car (embarrassing).So my first question is where there any engine changes in the facelift model to the previous mk1? Also when i got the car the boy wonder who ownded it before me had a straight through stainless steel "performance" exhaust on it, I have changed this back to a normal exhaust(non-cat even though it had one originally, peugeot told me that!))and regained some power, but still not as much as the other 306. The maintenace was poor, the oil was practically non-exsistant and what was there resembled tar! and the air filter was just as black so I have changed the oil and air filters, oil and put cleaners through the air and fuel systems, but this is my first diesel and I'm struggling. Do you change your glowplugs like you would spark plugs? I have inspected them and they seem fine. In fact from what I can tell all seems fine, any ideas to what could be causing this terrible lack of power?
306 d turbo lacks power. - blue_haddock
The only changes mechanically to the 306 turbo diesel is the change from the 1.9 unit that you have over to the 2.0 Hdi unit used in the later cars. They should in theory be the same power/economy.

It sounds as if your car has been abused and neglected and all the previous owner was interested in was keeping up with his chav mates. The glowplugs are only used on start-up - they are not used in a similar fashion to spark plugs.

If you want some in depth advice come over and say hello to the guys at the peugeot sport club - theres a healthy number of DTurbo enthusiasts who will be able to help you out.

www.psooc.com
306 d turbo lacks power. - DavidHM
I have a 406 1.9 dt with the same engine, and it runs much more freely than it did when I first got it.

Assuming that the car's not completely wrecked, a good service isn't a bad place to start.

This means new air and fuel filters (air filter is most important for this and dead easy to DIY). Stick a load of fuel system cleaner in the tank at the same time.

Also, my car had a slight oil leak that was caused by pressure in the oil breather pipes and the oil filler cap needing replacement; that was fixed by cleaning the breathers and replacing the oil filler cap (£2 plus ages to get the damn thing off).

I've no idea what kind of power it's developing now and it's still not quick but it does run the way it's supposed to at least. These cars can actually be quite variable in terms of performance and economy though.
306 d turbo lacks power. - 3T
Dan,you may find that pre face lift D Turbos don't have cats as original, the facelift models engine is slightly different in that it should produce less power as a result of the cat and also peugeot were trying to make the engine more refined(quiet). I have seen many non turbo 306s with bits added to look like one, have you checked the turbo/intercooler is there? If it is all present and correct , the next thing to have a look at is whether the fuelling has been played with to 'increase' performance,this should be apparent as the anti tamper nuts on the fuel pump will probably show signs of use when to all intents it is a sealed unit. Whats your fuel economy like ? town driving with a heavy foot should still produce late 30s or early 40s,gentler use nearer 45. the face lifted model should be getting the same if not slightly worse. Can you feel the turbo come on boost at 2500rpm and power disappear about 4200rpm?
306 d turbo lacks power. - JohnPug
You should be able to actually hear the turbo (I can hear mine).

When I first got my 306dt, I thought it was a bit underpowered. It turned out to be the accelerator cable being a bit slack, there was a lot of movement in the pedal before the revs would increase. This in turn meant you had to push the pedal to the floor before the turbo would work properly.
306 d turbo lacks power. - David Horn
Yeah, it's a bit perculiar, but in my Xsara (same engine) the turbo sounds like a faint whistle coming from the righthand side of the car.

You can't miss the intercooler, it looks like another radiator stuck on top of the engine. What does concern me a bit though is that you got the glow plugs out with no problem, as a quick glance at mine showed the intercooler blocking access.

This glance was some time ago, though, and as my car starts first time, every time, I've never needed to get at them.
Will look at this, it may be the cause but wont know until i've looked.
It's all there and all un-tampered and economy isn't bad. the turbo kicks in at just above 2000rpm but haven't noticed when it stops, but it still doesn't kick out Kw the facelift does. I'm wondering if it had had anything to do with the "performance" exhaust that was on there for years, because as soon as it was changed back to standard there was a noticeable difference in power. Could it be that the engine just got "bedded" in to this system and may need time to re-adjust?
306 d turbo lacks power. - autumnboy
My son has just gone through the process as you.

A boy racer previous fitted a stainless go faster system, since he has now fitted a standard system as you have. But the fuel pump had been messed about with, to get more power. But with the standard system the pump fuel settings had to be reset.

Either you'll have to have the pump calibrated by a specalist or find a download from a forum with instructions on how to set the fuel settings on or off boost.

But before you go down that route its best to check that none of the turbo pipes from the turbo to the intercooler are leaking or loose and check that the intercooler is not cracked anywhere if the previous owner has increased the boost pressure cracking it or blown the gaskets on the manifold.

Once you get it right you can expect easily 110/115bhp as the standard is 90bhp.

Good Luck
Any idea's on who could do this work for me, I've had the DervDoctor recommended and he'll do it for about £125, how does that sound to you and thanks for the advice, will check it all over when I finally get a day off work, due in about 1 week!!!!!!

Thanks Again.
306 d turbo lacks power. - blue_haddock
Gav the DervDoctor is the man for the job - if there is a problem he will sort it.

Ask him to give it a "tweak" whilst he's looking over it - you won't regret it!
306 d turbo lacks power. - dieselhead
My 306 Dturbo (1998 model) seems much more lively and is more economical than an older version I owned. Only difference I can see on the engine is it has a garrett turbo and the old car used a KKK. Disconnecting the plug to the EGR solenoid should give a bit more power.