Pressure washers and engines - Kev
I know how some of the regulars enjoy their power washers [did anyone get one for christmas?][have any broken yet?]
But I heard from my grandad in disbelief, that somebody over the road from him was pressure washing his engine.
Is this a sensible thing to do?
Surely its madness?!

Kev
Re: Pressure washers and engines - Tom Shaw
Not only engines, but wheel bearings suffer as well. Damage caused by these devices was covered a little while ago if you search back.
Re: Pressure washers and engines - Kev
Cheers

Kev
Re: Pressure washers and engines - David W
Kev,

Fine as long as you have a sympathy for the parts you are washing. The spray on most can be varied to a soft fan that wouldn't take the skin from a rice pudding.

Keep a powerful spray well away from anything electrical, or and paper labels you ever want to read again.

If you are sensible thay are fine.

David
Re: Pressure washers and engines - ian (cape town)
I've used them to clean some filthy engines in my time - after squirting engine cleaner on the thing, and giving it a good scrub.
As David says, be very careful with the electrics - I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have confidence. (and keep some q20 handy!)
Re: Pressure washers and engines - Peter M.
A few years ago I lost most of the engine oil through the dipstick tube,(pumped out when I didn't push the dipstick in properly) and had the engine steam cleaned. When I went to collect the car, it wouldn't start, and it turned out that the sparking plug recesses (Pug. 305) were completely filled with water, thus shorting the plugs. Perhaps something to watch out for!
Happy New Year, everyone.
P.
Re: Pressure washers and engines - T lucas
When did you last buy a used car with a dirty engine?The valeters always blast the engine off,usually with large amounts of 'truck wash chemical' and then full steam ahead and full pressure.The engine and electrics dry out eventually.
Re: Pressure washers and engines - Kev
Thanks to all replies. Ill now sleep easy and dream of owning both a car with a dirty engine and a high pressure squirter.

Kev