petrol diesel engines - sajid
just read the latest autocar magazine the biggest story has been about the next revolution in engine technology, apparently mercedes benz have been developing an engine that can run on dual fuel both petrol and diesel, combining the advantages of both of the fuels, si it feasible ??
petrol diesel engines - blue_haddock
Yes it is feasable - tanks have been doing it for years!
petrol diesel engines - JH
True but they'll run on anything from coal upwards. Well almost.
John
petrol diesel engines - Imagos
what would be the point?

just to prove it can be done?

silliness..
what would be the point?

No queueing at the petrol station - just pull up to the first available pump and fill her up!
Millions spent on development, extra cost probably when car purchased, reliability issues, just so you can pull up at first available pump?

i should co co.
petrol diesel engines - Sofa Spud
I read that some Australian hauliers have been using kits that inject gas (propane, LPG or something, don't know which) into the induction system of truck diesel engines. The mixture is too weak to be ignited by compression, but gives a bigger detonation when the diesel is injected.

Anyone else heard of this?

Cheers, Sofa Spud
petrol diesel engines - TimW
pink fluffy jelly babes if I can find it on the Autocar website, others may have better luck
I've seen a Pug 306 DTurbo run propane injection - it's injected in along with the diesel to give a bigger more powerful bang. It's a 1.9TD running at around 180bhp
petrol diesel engines - Sofa Spud
Rolls-Royce built an experimental diesel version of the rotary 'wankel' engine for military applications. Nicknamed the 'cottage loaf', it had two differently sized rotors working together in a figure of eight shaped combustion chamber. It was designed to work on diesel, petrol or kerosene. Apaarently they solved the problem of short tip-seal life and the engine worked well, but was found to be no more efficient than a reciprocating engine.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
petrol diesel engines - Avant
It's on p. 17 of this week's magazine - which they want you to buy!

There is plenty of talk about petrol / electric hybrids, and of course Toyota and Honda have them in production - but why not diesel / electric? Some testers find the Toyota Prius less economical overall than a good diesel.

Maybe I've missed something - hopefully an expert will be along soon!
So would you need two seperate fuel tanks?

Having just one tank with two different fuels in it..that's asking for trouble.

Two seperate tanks.. more space needed

the more i think about this the more ridiclulos it sounds.

Totally absurd idea..
I occasionally drive a Prius - i've never done a brim to brim test but the on board computer rarely registers more than about 45mpg. Now you can easily get 50mpg out of a corolla diesel which would be about £5k cheaper to buy.

From what i remember Toyota have looked at a diesel hybrid version but because the prius is aimed largely at the american market a diesel version just is not financially viable.