Imports to get 2 year warranty - alan
I jut placed an order for a european import. The dealer told me, and I have had confirmation from the UK head office that all cars imported after Jan 1 02 will get a 2 year europe wide warranty.

we are getting there slowly
alan
Re: Imports to get 2 year warranty - Honest John
True for some models, such as BMW. Not for others.

HJ
Re: Imports to get 2 year warranty - David Withers
I thought the two-year warrantee was a European directive, i.e. a legal requirement which affects ALL cars and probably other goods as well?
Re: Imports to get 2 year warranty - alan
Hi

That was the impresssion that I had too,
a;an
Re: Imports to get 2 year warranty - Andy Bairsto
You are correct all vehicles no matter what the source must have a 2 year warranty from Jan 2002
Re: Imports to get 2 year warranty - David Withers
I've just spotted the 'small print' to the EU directive. If I understand correctly, buyers now have two years rather than one year in which a faulty car can be rejected and German manufacturers in particular, plus Saab, have changed their manufacturer's warrantee to two years accordingly. However, other makers such as Peugeot are still going to offer only a one year manufacturer's warrantee though they recognise that the buyer does have a right to reject a faulty car for two years.

Complicated, isn't it? I assume that Peugeot will expect the main dealer to carry the cost of warrantee repairs in the second year, as they currently do. Why pay for your mistakes yourself if you can fob it off onto someone else? I think l'll stick to German cars!
Warranties - a thought - ian (cape town)
S Africa has a history of 'Grey' imports of consumer goods, and the ways companies handle problems are varied.
For example, some manufacturers won't even look at a 'grey' import, while others have a "we made it, we'll fix it" policy.
It seems that car makers would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't do right thing by buyers. If my car broke down after 18 months, and I had to pay to get it fixed, I'd slag the company off to everybody...
They, in turn, would never ask "Oh, but did you import it?" - they'd just assume that brand x was crap!
Re: Warranties - a thought - RogerL
Part of the problem is that the two year warranty is through the ORIGINAL supplying dealer, not the importer so it could be a long trip in the case of grey imports.
Re: Warranties - a thought - Tony Capps
Not necessarily so. I am taking delivery of a German sourced BMW in two weeks. The German dealer advised me of the 2 year warranty in Dec. I checked with BMW UK, and they confirmed that the new two year warranty was Pan European. The cost of upgrading this warranty to the full UK 3 year standard has also dropped by about £215.
Re: Warranties - a thought - David Limerick
The warranty for VW imports is now 2 years manufacturers warranty as of 2002.
I phoned a VW customer services to enquire the cost of a dealer supplied 3rd year warranty and I was told to ask a dealer. The local dealer told me £440 for the 3rd year for imports. £300 for Uk supplied cars.

I have recently seen in Honest Johns column, a reply to an enquiry on this subject, that said the previously required 2 year dealer warranty was £440.

Does anynone have accurate info ?
The reception I got from the VW Dealer was U should not buy Imports so tough.