Dirty Petrol - Rover 414 - rovernotover
I've got a Rover 414SLI 1990 H with an intermitent running problem - after about 1o mins running it starts to miss fire but only as if on 1 cylinder then picks up ok - its got new plugs, leads, dist cap & rotor arm, air filter. The coil was changed about 20K ago - is it dirty petrol as it seems to be worse after say a motorway run but will 'miss' going up/down the off ramp? - Any help will be appreciated as its driving me mad!
Dirty Petrol - Rover 414 - Civic8
Could possibly be small air leak in one of the pipes going to inlet manifold/from- to ECU this controls timing.they do split between plastic pipe and rubber connectors..Also the crank sensor plays up giving the same effect..If its regular M/D should be able to pick the fault up on computer.Though wont gaurantee. as problem has to be their when checking.They dont store fault codes unfortunatley
--
Steve
Dirty Petrol - Rover 414 - Xileno {P}
Check for HGF, although your symptoms do not immediately fit. Worth checking though, K Series can suffer this.
Xileno - sorry to be a pain but what is HGF? - it seem to be happeninh a low revs more now
Steve - Many thanksI'll try at the weekend to have a look at the pipes - How do I ID the crank sensor?
Dirty Petrol - Rover 414 - blue_haddock
HGF = Head Gasket Failure - a known* rover K Series problem

*Although not if you speak to rover about it!
Dirty Petrol - Rover 414 - DL
I'd definately replace the crank sensor, first.

About £30
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
AS the Head Gasket was only done about 7000 miles ago I 'll try the Crank Sensor - where abouts is it? i.e is the one below the injection/manifold at the back of the engine?
Right at the back, poking into the flywheel housing. One 7mm bolt holding it in, with an 8mm bolt holding the flylead to the bracket, nearby.

ADU7340 is the part number, btw!
--
Many thanks for this I'll get it sorted
Do let us know how you get on...
--