Front Tyre Lifetime - Ed666
How long would you expect a set of fronts to last on a front wheel drive car?

Obviously, I tend to drive rather harshly so expect them to last accordingly. Just curious what others tend to get out of theirs in terms of years/miles?
Front Tyre Lifetime - No Do$h
all depends on weight of the car, tyre compound, driving style.....

20,000+ from mich pilot sports. will ve lucky to get 14 from the present Eagle F1s but they are sooo sticky.

156 Jtd, driven v.hard.

No Do$h - Alfa-driving Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Front Tyre Lifetime - Chris75
Mondeo TDCI, Michelin Pilot Primacy

25000 miles from the fornts driven hard but a lot of motorway miles.

Rears will need replaced soon at 37000
Front Tyre Lifetime - blue_haddock
Worst i've ever had was a set of very soft sticky Yoko's in about 3000 miles on my old 309 Gti - they were very very hard miles though.
Front Tyre Lifetime - Pezzer
Bh, I too used to have a 309 Gti - so I understand why they were hard miles ! I managed about 11k on Goodyears, if I recall the Michelins that came with it originally were absolutely lethal in the wet as they would break away without any warning whatsoever.
Front Tyre Lifetime - Clanger
About 3.5 mm left on the C3's Michelin Energy Green XSEs when I put them on the back at 29K miles.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Front Tyre Lifetime - Andy P
I'm up to 20k on Pilot Sport PS2 on my Accord Type S with 4mm tread left. Got 30K out of a set of Bridgestone RE720s on my Accord 2.0SE before I sold it and there was still 3mm left.

Andy
Front Tyre Lifetime - AR-CoolC
I got the best part of 37000 out of the Goodyear NCT's on the front of my Focus, above average driving style but mostly A roads and motorways. The rears are still the originals at almost 59000, but only have a couple of thousand left at the most.
Front Tyre Lifetime - arnold2
The NCT's to seem to last - got nearly 60k out of the fronts on my New Beetle, which is good ! I remember my old BMW E34 seemed to eat its Pirelli P600's at around 15k on the front, tho....
Front Tyre Lifetime - robZilla
My Vectra is fitted with four Vredestein Sportrac 2s, 25k so far and 5mm left all round.
Front Tyre Lifetime - Deryck Tintagel
36k on Michelin Pilots fitted to my 4 year old 1.8 Vectra. Still have 3mm but will probably change at 40k
Front Tyre Lifetime - romeo156
My Alfa is on its third set of Pirelli P600s at the front at only 54K miles

The backs have fared better.

I dont consider myself a harsh driver, maybe I should look at a better alternative at next change.
Cheers for the info, good to get an idea across a variety of makes/models

Its clear that that driving style is everything!
Cheers for the info, good to get an idea across a variety of makes/models

Its clear that that driving style is the biggest factor then!
Front Tyre Lifetime - mark999
Original bridgestones on 1.0 Yaris 11K miles
Replaced with eagle venturas much better grip. Hope they last a bit longer.
Front Tyre Lifetime - storme
front tyres on my bmw mini lasted 7000 miles

but it was good fun :)
--
www.storme.co.uk
Front Tyre Lifetime - DavidHM
Just had 16k from a set of fronts on my Pug 406 1.9 TD LX with a fair bit of motorway but some quite hard understeery cornering.
Front Tyre Lifetime - Cardew
see also

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=31446&...f
Front Tyre Lifetime - Roberson
My '93 Polo has 30 000 on its Goodyear tyres, and still have a good 10 000 (if not slightly more) still left in them. This is with a very sedate driving style.

I have a feeling that the rubber will perish sooner than the tread disappearing if you catch my drift, as they have been on a few years now.

It was only last year that I got rid of the cars remaining firestone which I think had been on it since new. (obviously starting life as a spare)
Front Tyre Lifetime - machika
I would get about 27K from a set of Michelin Energy on the Xantia TD (the rears would go past 60K). On the C5, I would be struggling to get 20K from even Michelin (Avon only 13K). The ZX I had would do 45K on Michelin. All cars are/were subject to the same mix of motoring.
Front Tyre Lifetime - blue_haddock
I've always got good mileage out of Avon tyres though
Front Tyre Lifetime - frazerjp
The Dunlops on my dads Rover 400 lasted nearly 60k miles on the rears before they needed replacement. Average driving conditions.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Front Tyre Lifetime - BobC
My last set of Michelin XH1s lasted 69,648 miles (rotated front to rear once). I had the front tracking set parallel at the same time as fitting the tyres - this eliminated the excessive outer shoulder wear and increased extended the tyre life significantly.

There have been comments about cars wearing tyres out faster than years ago and attributing this to the increased weight and power of the average car. I think another factor may be the emphasis on sporty handling resulting in suspension settings which wear the tyres faster than they might. The Focus has more toe-in at the rear than the front (and my wife's example is wearing the rear tyres nearly as fast as the front, despite them doing far less work).

Have other BRs noticed the same effect?
Front Tyre Lifetime - machika
I was told the toe in on the rear wheels of a C5 is quite extreme. Is this the case? The early C5s had other problems with the rear wheel geometry that caused uneven wear too.
Front Tyre Lifetime - Sofa Spud
A pair of Michelin Energy lasted 23,000 miles on the front of my '94 Passat Tdi. They were feathering slightly on the outside, so I had two new ones fitted and put the old ones on the back where they've done another 10,000 miles and still have a little mileage left on them.

However, the replacement front tyres wore right out after 7000 miles. They wore right down on the INSIDE edges. Kwik-Fit had realigned the steering because of the previous slight outer edge wear. They were not remotely interested in my complaint and said I could have upset the tracking by driving over a diagonal slope! It also emerged that they couldn't check the tracking because their equipment was faulty and away being repaired (this was a different Kwik Fit branch to where I had the tyres fitted while on holiday).

I had to get some new front tyres, which I got at the local ATS. They found the tracking was out by 8 degrees. They said that could only be because of bad adjustment.

There! I've got that off my chest!

Cheers, Sofa Spud

Front Tyre Lifetime - differs
on my defender 110, the front and rears have just over 113,000 on them, and they have quite a bit of life in them.

BFG ATs highly reccomemnded.
Front Tyre Lifetime - Roger Jones
Golf VR6: 18k out of the original Goodyears, and looks like about 25k out of the current Michelins. Driving style fairly gentle.