Rover 418 M Reg - Immobiliser Problem - marie1
I have a Rover 418 Diesel, M Reg and i went to unlock the car this morning but could not unlock it, in the end i unlocked it with the key but could not start the car because the immobiliser was not disabled. I have rang a few garages whho have said it will either be the key fob or immobiliser but to get a new key fob i have to take the car to the garage as the fob has to be programmed to the car. However, i cannot get the garage to the car without disabling the immobiliser. I have been given some advice on how to do this and have been told to look in the handbook but i haven't got the handbook as i only bought the car a week ago second hand. I have also been told that usually to disable the immobiliser you have to turn the key so many times but i have not idea how many times. Does anyone know how to disable the immobiliser on this car or what the problem could be?
Rover 418 M Reg - Immobiliser Problem - M.M
Had this saved for ages from a forum somewhere. Find it best to spray in a bit of WD40 to the lock first so it operates smoothly. If yours is the type with an EKA code then this is what you do....

The procedure has to be done exactly as shown below or as described in your handbook if not it will fail. After 3 failed attempts the system will not let you attempt this procedure again for 10 minutes.

Using the ignition key insert it into the drivers door lock.

Turn the key clockwise to the locking position (the doors will lock) and hold it in this position for at least 5 seconds. After 5 seconds slowly return the key to a central upright position.

The first digit of your security code can now be entered. Turn the key fully as far as it can go anticlockwise the unlock position (the doors will unlock) then back to the central upright position. This should be done the amount of times as the first digit on your security card.

The second digit of your security code can now entered. Turn the key as far as it can go clockwise the lock position then back to the central upright position. This should be done the amount of times as the second digit on your security card.

The third digit turn the key anticlockwise the unlock position again the times shown on the security card

The fourth digit turn the key clockwise the lock position again the times shown on the security card.

Once this has been completed turn the key to the unlock position once.

If the code has been entered correctly open the door the red flashing LED light on the dashboard will stop and you will be able to start the vehicle.

Note:
When turning the key in the lock it must be done with precision and slowly. On some worn locks you may have to turn the key slightly past the central upright position, if you listen closely you should be able to hear the switches clicking inside the lock.

The immobiliser should stay off once this procedure is completed, it will only work again by using a key fob, this may not always work, some vehicles have become immobilised again after a period of time after using the EKA code, or when the vehicles battery is disconnected or run flat.

Rover 418 M Reg - Immobiliser Problem - Dynamic Dave
This will get moved across to Technical Matters later today.

DD.
Rover 418 M Reg - Immobiliser Problem - marie1
Thankyou for your advice, i will try it and hopefully it will work.
Rover 418 M Reg - Immobiliser Problem - Civic8
You didnt mention whether you had either a fob or keycode..If you have a fob.It may be the battery is flat.If you dont then keycode is required..Handbook only as M.M said.This wont supply code. It is on credit sized card with both radio code and alarm code.Without this code you wont be able to mobilise engine.
--
Steve