Good dealers and experiences - smoke
We complain and for good reason about bad dealerships who do or don't do this that and the other. However lets list some good dealerships and why they were good.

I want to start with Sky Ford in Watford. Really good and polite service, good advice is given and problems however tiny are taken seriously and addressed. No "hidden nasties" have appeared on the bill since i have used them. Car comes back cleaned and not covered in greasy marks all over the upholstery and isn't left unlocked down some side street. As dealing with a car dealer should be.

And secondly Chiltern of Bovingdon (independent) Jaguar, I like these dealer since they take into account personal usage when advising about servicing, and don't try and replace parts that will last for years with current usage.

Good dealers and experiences - L'escargot
After doing business with the Ford dealership Ringways Garages (Doncaster) Ltd for nearly 13 years I can heartily recommend them. Sales, service, RapidFit, body shop ~ in fact the lot.

I particularly like their Service Advice facility. When you take the car in for servicing they will inspect it by appointment (in your presence) both on the ground and on a ramp and discuss with you what additional work might need to be done. They estimate how long it will be before consumable items such as brake pads and exhausts need replacing.

They pre-book each service based on their records of your past mileage and send you a letter so that you can confirm (or change) the booking.

If you buy a new car from them you get 10% discount on servicing and spares.

They treat you with the utmost courtesy and accord you the title Mr, Mrs etc. as appropriate. Brilliant.

Referring to another thread ~ yes, there are good franchised dealers.

--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Good dealers and experiences - ndbw
Rowcliffes of Taunton.Vauxhall main dealers,sales,service and bodyshop first class.Have bought thre cars from them over 15years and am well pleased.

ndbw
Good dealers and experiences - blue_haddock
i know a good toyota dealer ;-)
Good dealers and experiences - Roger Jones
I wonder how long this thread will be.

I did have a good experience with Camden Motors (Luton) over the years with servicing, which encouraged me to buy a new car from them. I couldn't be sure that they did everything that needed to be done, but they collected and delivered the car, their prices were reasonable, and they were good with customers. Sadly, they closed down several years ago.

That was the exception to the rule that prevails among all the other main dealers I've dealt with. Hence, my servicing is done by an independent.
Good dealers and experiences - L'escargot
I admit that I've only had dealings with Rootes, Ford, Citroen and Peugeot dealers in my 40 years motoring lifetime but I can honestly say that I have never been totally unsatisfied with any of the dealers. And it's not because I'm not critical, or unknowledgeable. I've had odd occasions to complain about service work, but the problem has always been rectified to my complete satisfaction. I've never felt the need to change to a different dealer. I think that some people unjustifiably get a bee in their bonnet about franchised car dealers in general because of one bad experience or because of unwarranted bad publicity.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Good dealers and experiences - Dynamic Dave
I wonder how long this thread will be.

There is another thread kicking around on a similar theme to this one somewhere.
Good dealers and experiences - bikemade3
Rowcliffes of Taunton.Vauxhall main dealers,sales,service and bodyshop first class.Have bought thre
cars from them over 15years and am well pleased.

Might be so but £157 for the first years service on a Zafira TD, that i can get serviced for £99.95 @ Purseys in Street( Vx dealer) means i'm going to Street to get it done.
Good dealers and experiences - Big Bad Dave
I have never had a bad sevicing experience - the trick is to leave a crate of Boddingtons in the car for the mechanics

But the best service I ever had was at a time of real personal crisis. I was called home from Poland last year after the sudden death of my sister and I had to make the journey from London to Manchester to see my parents but the MOT had expired. I knew it needed tyres and exhaust too so I took it to a really tiny tyre outfit in Walthamstow and prepared for a nightmare day of tyre bays and MOT bays. The tyre outfit was 20 minutes late in opening and I was really abusive to them but despite this, they went way beyond the call of duty, doing all the leg work while I went home. They drove it to the MOT station (twice) did tyres, exhaust, a mini service (which meant them sourcing and collecting parts) and then delivered it to me on my door step shortly after lunch time and well within their quote. Top blokes.

I can?t remember their name now but they?re off Forest Road near Blackhorse Road Tube Station
Good dealers and experiences - Bromptonaut
Posted elsewhere of my recent experiences with my Xantia's cambelt. Car delivered to my home in my absence after over a fortnight in dock more or less unable to select/retain first, third or fifth gear. Almost undriveable and definitely not like that when it broke down. "Nothing to do with us sir we've not touched the box or linkages" receptionist makes patronising suggestion that I forgot what my own car was like to drive.

We now have a local franchised repairer, no new car sales so no shiny showroom. Rang up, guy I spoke to was ex main franchise and remembered me and my cars, "bring it in on Saturday we'll have a look" he says.

Explains to me that the Xant's change is cable operated, like bike brakes, and that probably cables have seized in three weeks of non use. Sprays 'em out with WD40 or whatever; problem eased considerably. No charge.

Excellent Service - davejold
Hi, I have just made a purchase of a shiny new Nissan Primera I bought from www.uk-car-discount.co.uk I found this company on the website and am not associated with them in any way. The car was delivered to my door (St Ives in Cornwall) on a transporter, it has a pre-reg 05 plate with 2 miles on the clock. With a saving of over 27% otr price I am extremely pleased with the vehicle and the friendly/excellent service. I was sceptical in the beginning about buying online but the car was exactly as was ordered. These days it makes a change to have good service and I can't praise this company enough. I would use this company again and would recommend them. Regards, Dave.