Maximum RPM - Cardew
Does anyone know the maximum RPM achieved by an Internal Combustion engine?

F1 cars routinely rev at 19,000 and I believe some racing 2 stroke motorcycles achieved speeds of well in excess of 20,000 revs.
Maximum RPM - WhiteTruckMan
F1 cars routinely rev at 19,000 and I believe some racing
2 stroke motorcycles achieved speeds of well in excess of 20,000
revs.

I believe model aircraft engines are just starting to warm up at those speeds :-)

WTM
Maximum RPM - Civic8
I wonder about this myself.But several questions come into play.When will their become a point an engine becomes static.Limits come into how an computer controlled ignition system will be able to control revs?-How the oil presure stystem will cope with revs..also fuel supply though probably in same category as ignition timing/valve?
--
Steve
Maximum RPM - Robin Reliant
Governed by the weight of the pistons to a great extent, which is why model aircraft engines can rev so high (40000rpm, I think I have seen quoted). Two strokes rev higher than four because there are no valves to collide with.
Maximum RPM - Civic8
I dont think the question was related to models..My post was intended for larger engines.I thought an interesting question..Due to weight/mass you cannot compare
--
Steve
Maximum RPM - Number_Cruncher
>>Does anyone know the maximum RPM achieved by an Internal Combustion engine?

I don't know the figures, but I would expect that a gas turbine, or jet engine might spin quite fast.

number_cruncher
I don't know the figures, but I would expect that a
gas turbine, or jet engine might spin quite fast.

Oh yes indeedy! however, acceleration leaves a bit to be desired. it takes time to spin up that heavy great lump of a turbine/compressor, no matter how well its balanced. If we drove gas turbine cars then overtaking would be by appointment only. Apart from the well off chavs (aka professional footballer) who could afford the fuel consumption on re-heat.

WTM
Maximum RPM - Arty
One day in the future we're going to get a superconductive engine/drivetrain with no friction at all.
Maximum RPM - martint123
Something like a turbine linked to DAF's old variomatic infinitely variable ratio gearbox would work well.

I heard they set the tickover on the FP superbikes to 5000 rpm and these are comparatively 'normal' engines.
Maximum RPM - Cardew
My question was aimed at finding out about an IC engine fitted to a car/motorcycle.
On the subject of revving engines, heres an F1 renault engine on the test bed. check out those rpm's, and make sure your sound is on.

In the web address bar of your browser type

http://

then copy and paste this link.

grab.orsm.net//update20050428/f1renault.wmv

do NOT put in www.

note for narrowbanders: its about 3.5 meg.

WTM

Maximum RPM - cheddar
For many years Honda would not touch two strokes, in the early/mid 60's they had 50cc twins and 125cc 5 cyl 4 strokes reving to 22-23000 rpm.

The Yamaha R6 (600cc) was launched in 1999, it produced nearly 120bhp at the crank, 200bhp/litre, redlined at 15500 and was rev limited to 16000, it's valve clearances did not need adjusting for 27000 miles! At the time F1 engines produced approx 270bhp/litre, revved to "only" 17500 and only lasted for 500 miles!
Maximum RPM - Altea Ego
"F1 renault engine on the test bed"

Now THAT is an italian tune up.