another ved question - Ashley
If i was to buy a Polo 1.4 Tdi would the ved be calculated on it's emissions or it's engine size? i.e under 1500cc the ved would be £100. I'm asking this because if it's rated on it's emissions i may as well buy a Golf Tdi.

Regards,

Ash.
Re: another ved question - honestjohn
If it was first registered on or after 1/2/2001, on its CO2 emissions. If it was first registered before that, on its engine size.

HJ
Re: another ved question - richard
I think you mean 1/3/01
Re: another ved question - Neil
Whilst you will pay the same VED on the diesel Polo and Golf, there is more to the cost of motoring than a tax disc: there's a considerable difference in purchase price between the two cars - which will be amplified if you buy on finance; whilst both cars have similar - and excellent - residual values, you will lose more on the Golf due to its higher purchase price; the 1.4 TDI PD engine is more economical than the 1.9 TDI PD engine meaning over a low annual mileage of 10000 miles the Golf costs around £680 and the Polo £590.

The injustice of the new VED is that older cars with poor economy and emissions pay lower tax than newer, cleaner diesel cars. The cost of the Road Fund Licence becomes almost insignificant compared to depreciation, fuel, insurance, and servicing.