Pug 406 1.9td P reg smoke - Dartrader
Hi All, after standing at junctions or lights for any length of time as I pull away quite a bit of blue smoke is emited from the exhaust. It only needs to be standing at tickover for 30 seconds for this to happen. No unusual smoke when driving or when on tickover, only when I pull away. Some smoke in morning at first start up. This smoke clears very quickly. I do have the odd day when it does not happen. The car has covered 161,000 miles, has 6000 mile oil and filter changes, and air and fuel filters are change before they are due. Other than this the car drives perfectly. The smoke smells like it is oil thats burning. I suspect valve guide seals my mate thinks it could be blocked breather. I would be grateful for any views. Thanks.
Hi, I thought I'd check the breathers first. Now there is a pipe that goes from the bottom of the oil filler housing to a small round thing that fits in the pipe coming from the air filter box. When I pulled all the pipes off there was a lot of engine oil just inside the pipe leading from the filter to the turbo. This oil appears to have been sucked up from the oil filler case and through this round thing. This round thing is about 50mm in diameter ana 25mm deep. It looks as though it is some sort of valve controled by a diaphram and spring. Does any body know the purpose of this thing and how it is supposed to operate. I'm sure it's not supposed to let oil in to the air pipes. Thanks in advance.
Pug 406 1.9td P reg smoke - DL
Possible turbo oil seals...
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Pug 406 1.9td P reg smoke - Martin1981
Hi

Does the car seem to use any oil, if so how much does it use between changes? If it seems to be using more than it should, I would agree with DL and say it's the turbo oil seals. I had the same problem with my 1994 306TD, it used about 5 litres of oil between changes but the car still ran fine even though it seemed to chuck out tons of smoke when starting up and when accelerating. Also there were traces of oil in the breather pipes and in the intercooler. Car has since had a 2nd hand engine after head gasket failed at 153k miles and is now 100%. Only possible long term solution to this problem would probably be a new or reconditioned turbo.

Regards Martin
Thanks DL & Martin for your replies.
The oil level drops about 6mm between changes. When accelerating it is fine, no unusual smoke. I can have three or four days when I get no smoke, then it might smoke for some of the day. As I said it only smokes after a spell at tickover, then clears. No smoke while ticking over or driving, only as I pull away. On the days it smokes 30 seconds at tickover is enough to smoke if I blip the accelerator.

Regards, Dave.
Pug 406 1.9td P reg smoke - Robin the Technician
Hi,
My initial thoughts on this would be injectors. At 161K they are probably a bit gunged up. Try a dose of injector cleaner through the system. This is quite good for cleaning them. This is the cheapest option by far but the next step wouldbe to replace the injectors. You don't say if its being used for short journeys or long. Cars doing long runs get warm enough to clear of this residue.

Hope this helps

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Thanks for your replies. It gets a dose of Millers regularly and does between 200 to 400 miles a week. The journeys are veried. It gets a thrashing now and then to clear it out and sits between 70 and 85 on the motorway with no problems. It has just passed an MOT emmissions test with no problems. It has not smoked for the last 4 days in a row now, Strange!. I think I'll just keep an eye on it for now and see what happens.
Regards, Dave.
Pug 406 1.9td P reg smoke - David Horn
Does it get parked on a camber? My Xsara 1.9TD smokes a bit at idle if it's been parked on a slope overnight. (Driver's side lower than passenger side).
Hi David, no the drive is level. It does not smoke at idle, only when I pull away then quickly clears. And not every day. That's why I thought it could be a breather problem.
Regards, Dave.
Pug 406 1.9td P reg smoke - Dan's 306
First of all I have to say I'm no expert and am new to diesels ( only in month 3 of what i hope is a long and fun arrangement) but your problem sounds exactly what I had with a 205 GTi and I mean exactly. As i'm new to diesels I'm going to tell you what my problem was with my petrol engine and hope that I dont sound stupid. Valve stem oil seals. they were breaking down and when the car was running there was oil present on top of the seal, when you stop it just sits there and leaks into the cylinder and then when you pull away it burns and you can see my smoke.
Hope I am not an idiot and that this helps you out in your cause.