Dodgy motorcycle headlights - volvoman
Don't know whether this is common but in the last couple of days I've come across 2 motorcycles with coloured headlights. The first was a bright 'traffic light' red and the second, this afternoon, an intense yellow, so bright it was dazzling. I've really got no problem with bikers making themselves more visible but if these lights were distracting during the day how much moreso are they at night? I thought such things were illegal but if they are nobody seems to be enforcing the rules.
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - Dynamic Dave
if these lights were distracting during the day how much
moreso are they at night?

They're only clip on, or held on with suction cups. They take them off at night I beleive. No idea of the legality of them though.
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - school boy
Do you mean the headlights, wouldn't they fall off, that WOULD be funny.
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - Dynamic Dave

::hands schoolboy the communal backroom coat::
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - Dwight Van Driver
Yellow - Legal
Red - illegal.

Offence to use, cause or permit use on a road a vehicle readily capable of showing a red light to the front.

(There are exceptions but not for that quoted)
Reg 11 Road vehicle Lighting Regs 1989

DVD
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - cheddar
It is legal to sell and buy these coloured lenses though some bikers do not realise it is ilegal to use them, not with standing the fact that they ruin many a great looking machine.
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - blue_haddock
These sort of things are sold in the same way as badly spaced number plates - "sold for offroad use only"
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - doug_r1
I can't see the logic in using red headlight covers, if someone pulls out on you they surely have the reasonable defence that they thought you were moving in the opposite direction.
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The covers I've seen seem to tone in with the paintwork so hence red, blue , yellow.
Now my bike is black, so................
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - Clanger
My Bandit 600 has a yellow headlight. It has passed the last 2 MoTs so equipped. I think it draws attention to the bike.

The dazzling bit was probably because the rider thought he should use main beam, an increasingly common trend among bikers. I disagree; I think it hampers speed perception and can mask other nearby hazards.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Dodgy motorcycle headlights - WhiteTruckMan
Dont know how relevant it is, but I've seen plenty of cars with black and white coloured tail light clusters, but when whatever lights are activated they allways seem to shine the correct colour. (well, mostly, I have seen some VERY pale amber indicators in my time)

WTM