Correct paperwork? - volvoman
Hi gang - a neighbour of mine is finally getting shot of the ancient Ford Cortina estate which has been in his garage for about the last 20 years having been stolen, involved in an accident, recovered and then purchased back from his insurers. He'd intended to restore the car but never got around to it! Anyway, the trouble is that he can't find the registration document and can't recall what he told the DVLC (then) abut the car at the time. He hasn't received anything from them regarding the car in years but is hoping to sell it shortly and needs to know what the position regarding documentation etc. is. Can anyone shed any light please? Many thanks.
ps I should add that he's a bit cautious about contacting the DVLA just yet in case he's inadvertently done something wrong.

Also, for those out there who are interested in such things, the car has only done 35k since new and is in remarkably good condition apart form the large dent in the front bumper. It's quite odd looking at what was a very common car after so long. Can't remember the last time I saw one.
Correct paperwork? - martint123
He hasn't broken any of the rules AFAIK.
SORN only applies to cars that were taxed fairly recently (I don't have the time to look it up). Those that were already off the road when the ruling came in didn't have to be declared.
It is possible he may have lost the reg number if it was a 'nice one' though.
Thanks - wasn't a special number at all but what does he do about his total lack of documentation for the car?
Correct paperwork? - Ex-Moderator
apply for a duplicate.
Correct paperwork? - Dwight Van Driver
If the vehicle has been stored up off road and:

There was no Excise Licence in force for the vehicle on 31.1.1998, and
No Licence has since been issued , and
Not been used/kept on a Public Road,

then SORN does not apply.

If any of these three conditions have been broken then DVLA, when they get to know, will be chasing for failing to declare.

Not sure but seem to think that if there has been no movement in relation to a vehicle file at DVLA they class it as kaput and there may be problems in trying to re-register. Stanbd to be corrected on this one.

DVD
Thanks all - the DVLA have no record of the car apparently so my mate is off the hook with them. They've said if it is going to be put back on the road, at that point the new owner will need to contact them so they can issue a new registration document.

Ta again.
Correct paperwork? - Robert J.
Funnily enough Volvoman, I saw a mark 2 this morning as I was coming out of the newsagent. It looked a lot smaller than I remember, or is it that average car sizes have gone up ?
Correct paperwork? - Truckosaurus
The current Ford Mondeo is the same size as an old Ford Zodiac.

(Source: EVO magazine of a month or two ago)
Correct paperwork? - blue_haddock
The current VW polo is bigger than the original golf
Yes - I felt that way too when I saw it on his drive for the first time. It was certainly a lot lower than I remembered and when compared to my old 940 estate. Also, the vinyl roof seemed sooooooo old fashioned.