Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) - Ralph Bayley
If a Mass Airflow meter is not working correctly will the engine management light illuminate. I've seen that alot of diesel car owners in this forum have replaced the MAF and cured a host of problems from flat spots to very poor running in these cases has the engine management system light illuminated and alerted the driver to a problem?
Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) - Altea Ego
"engine management system light illuminated?"

sometimes, it all depends on how the thing fails, and how good the feedback and "self diagnosis" code is on the ECU. Name your car and forum members will tell you.
Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) - Adam {P}
A 2001 Astra 1.7 dti if I'm not mistaken.
--
Adam
Well that's one of my cars!
Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) - Adam {P}
Sorry - I thought I was being smart by checking your previous posts.

Does the Astra have MAF problems too?
--
Adam
Sorry Adam should have made my last answer clearer it's the Astra that I think the MAF may be faulty. My other car's a Passat 130 TDI. No problems with that at present!(touch wood)
Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) - Leon on Derv
you could try removing the MAF and squirt a dose of carb cleaner over it. They seem to be sensitive to contamination and they are not that cheap to replace. Do you have an induction kit fitted on your car or an oiled air filter? These are being blamed for early MAF failure on imprezas. MAFS seem to be sensitve to vibration also, check the intake hoses and air box are nice and secure.

Never lifted the bonnet on an Astra, so I am afraid my comments are only general in nature.

Regards,
Leon
Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) - Aprilia
A MAF sensor will not usually put the MIL on. Usually the MAF sensor failure mode is to give an incorrect voltage, resulting in loss of performance.
Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) - Edward
It put the engine management light on in my Octavia, so I guess it will do the same on the Passat when it (inevitably?) fails. Don't know about Vx.
Mass Airflow Meter (MAF) - Aprilia
No, it depends on the failure mode. If it stops giving a signal, or gives an out-of-range signal, then it will put the light on. If the signal is just incorrect (i.e. the MAF has gone out of calibration - which is the usual problem) then normally the light will not come on.