traffic lights for roundabouts - reevsie
I drive through Epsom & Ewell on a regular basis which seems to have a policy of placing traffic lights every few yards , its absolute chaos in the rush hour. Their recent project was to make chessington road, ewell into a dual carriageway and then replace an adequate mini roundabout into a 3 phase traffic light system thereby completly negating the benefit of the dual carriageway. Since its completion the rush hour congestion has got worse, talk about a waste of money. Is this an isolated case or are there more barmy 'highway improvement projects'
traffic lights for roundabouts - Sofa Spud
Around where I live, every time traffic lights have been installed they have improved the situation compared to how it was before.

Cheers, Sofa Spud

traffic lights for roundabouts - Altea Ego
where I live they keep the roundabouts and put traffic lights on them causing jams where before there were none.

A roundabout is a roundabout and I treat it as such, safely even if the lights are red.
traffic lights for roundabouts - L'escargot
A roundabout is a roundabout and I treat it as such,
safely even if the lights are red.

Does this mean that you treat every roundabout purely as a roundabout and ignore any traffic lights that might be there?
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Yes?
traffic lights for roundabouts - Civic8
wouldnt mind if lights are on roundabout.But to place as they have on A224.heading towards Orpington in kent from A20 causes chaos especially when M25 south is blocked from J3..Works the same in reverse ie J4 in opposite direction.224 is used as bypass. though extremely slow
--
Steve
traffic lights for roundabouts - Rishab C
In Nottingham, they have gone berserk, installing traffic lights where there were none before. They also seem to phase them so as soon as you set off from one the next set change to red.
Zebra crossings are also being replaced with lights which take so long to change the pedestrian went a long time ago, and everywhere there are queues where there were non before.
traffic lights for roundabouts - bimmer-driver
Crewe & Nantwich Borough Council have seen fit to totally screw up the busiest roundabout in my neck of the woods by putting traffic lights on it. There must be eight sets in total, and then on the busiest exit they've also put a pedestrian crossing 100yds away, also with lights so traffic gets backed up onto the roundabout. Its complete chaos at peak times (its right next door to Crewe Station), and I don't think I've ever seen so much broken glass, bits of bumpers and wing mirrors on one stretch of road.
Rant over.
traffic lights for roundabouts - SjB {P}
Many know Aylesbury as "Roundabout Town", but two roundabouts, Watermead and The Horse & Jockey Pub / Landrover garage are about to be torn up and replaced with traffic lights as part of Two Jag's imposition of 850 houses on Weedon Hill that we don't want.

To make matters worse, the road between the two locations runs over Holman's Bridge, which is a listed building and so can't be widened. The housing developer has to pay for the new traffic lights as part of their contract, but has drawn the line at building a new (parallel) bridge to help take the increased traffic volume. For those who queue out to Whitchurch each day, "you ain't seen nothing yet".

Oh, and the buses are to be given traffic light priority too, as well as a bus lane being built that encroaches in to the available road width.

traffic lights for roundabouts - mjm
M5, junction 14. Used to be straightforward junction, no roundabout, just a T junction for each slip road. Some traffic build up at peak times, but nothing really. Council spend loads of money installing lights, building lane separation bollards etc. Result, chaos, lights turned off. Traffic back to normal. Light sequencing re-programmed after "intensive studies". Lights turned on again. Result,chaos, lights turned off again. Traffic back to normal. Don't know what's happening at the moment, haven't been that way.

I think its a plot by the powers that be. Put in traffic lights with 3 normal colour sequence, get motorists used to them, then turn orange and green off permanently. It will eventually stop all traffic, no need for more roads.

I get the impression that traffic planners have to do their training at Rampton.
traffic lights for roundabouts - Dynamic Dave
Swindon seems to have exceeded it's quota of traffic lights.

However, there is one roundabout that has been overlooked and is crying out for traffic lights to be installed - Greenbridge. Anyone who's ever sat in a traffic jam right back as far as the Toy's R Us roundabout (under the A419) will know what I'm talking about.
traffic lights for roundabouts - madux
Swindon seems to have exceeded it's quota of traffic lights.
However, there is one roundabout that has been overlooked and is
crying out for traffic lights to be installed - Greenbridge. Anyone
who's ever sat in a traffic jam right back as far
as the Toy's R Us roundabout (under the A419) will know
what I'm talking about.

Too true. They were talking about building a flyover about ten years ago. What did they do? They reduced the number of lanes at each approach by one. Made the queues even longer.
>I get the impression that traffic planners have to do their training at Rampton.

ROFL :)
traffic lights for roundabouts - mare
>I get the impression that traffic planners have to do their
training at Rampton.

What or where is Rampton (for the unintiated)?
Rampton is a secure mental hospital for the criminally insane
traffic lights for roundabouts - mare
Rampton is a secure mental hospital for the criminally insane

Ah, understood!
traffic lights for roundabouts - LongDriver {P}
Carlisle got rid of their traffic lights at Hardwicke Circus after they failed in the January Flood, as traffic flowed much better whilst the lights were off (well it did after the water level dropped!).

Recipe to solve traffic congestion in your local town:

Take 1 busy roundabout with traffic lights.
Add water until 10 feet deep.
Leave to soak for 3 days, ensuring that the traffic light heads and controller aren't above water level at any time.
Drain slowly.
Place orange bags over heads.
Drive as normal...