Mk3 Golf 1.6 aft eng 80k hesitates accel - obvious
I have a mk3 golf gl 1.6 aft engine (100bhp). All fine, but problem of hesitation on acceleration when eng is cold or warm. Happens more when under load, but anything in rev range from 1.5k to 4.5k.
To try to cure prob. I have replaced ht leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, sparks, air filter fuel filter - even pollen filter (may as well !). But to no avail. Still hesitates just as bad.
Any suggestions as to what could be causing this ? I have also used redex petrol & injector treatments too - still no change.
BTW simos ecu, is dealership diagnostics next step ?
Thanks in advance...
Mk3 Golf 1.6 aft eng 80k hesitates accel - Peter D
Check the rubberised throttle body mounting gasket I suspect it is cracked and on acceleration the resistance of the air pipe is opening up the split in the rubber. Very common at 80K odd miles.

The fault will very noticable at the lower end and you can normally just pull on the air filter housing at tick over and you will hear the engine roughen and you may hear the air being sucked in. Regards Peter. P.S. Gasket not cheap !!
I could be missing something here - but the throttle body doesn't seem to have a rubberised mounting gasket. It has a greenish colour gasket ? It bolts onto a kind of overhead air intake manifold which goes over the top of the engine & covers the spark plugs (making them difficult to change). I wish I could upload a pic to show you!

I also tried your reccomendation of moving the air filter housing to expose any splits / gaps & the revs / tone didn't even flicker.

I also notice when stationary, that I can rev the engine to it's max (about 6.5k) fine, so I don't think it's the injectors either.

It's a real pain ... I even tried disconnecting the battery (for 3 hours), to clear the ecu 'learnt' settings. But that made no difference either ... Now at a loss for a (cheap) solution.
I am very familiar with MK3's but not the 1.6 AFT I assumed it also had the normal rubberised mounting, I'll check in my manual covers your model. Regards Peter
Now with pics ... I took some photos this evening of the throttle body (or what I think it is) etc ... don't know if links will work
but you could always copy & paste into a browser if they don't to view them ...

Throttle body & engine:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/obvious123/tb_eng....g

TB closeup ...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/obvious123/tb_big....g

Engine overview ...
img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/obvious123/eng.jpg

If any specific view required, please feel free to post req.

Cheers
Right, now I am not able to help you with that one. Regards Peter
Thanks for your help Peter. I've found out what it is. It's the Air flow meter (or wiring) ! I unplugged the meter connector on the air filter intake (disabling it) & took it out for a test drive. It was absolutely fine (although idling was a bit lumpy - but that's to be expected) ! I'm so chuffed that it's been resolved ! Thanks very much for your input anyway, it's was apppreciated.
Now all I have to do is diagnose if it's the wiring to the meter or the meter itself ... I don't really fancy forking out £160 to gsf, but if I have to, then so be it - it's worth it just to get the performance back.

Cheers everyone ...