Used car warranties - J Bonington Jagworth
I notice this question is tackled by HJ in today's column, but am not too sure about the upshot. If dealers are required to look after the vehicle for six months, are they allowed to offer three-month ones?

My son bought a 2000 (W) Mitsubishi Space Star earlier today (before we'd read the paper!) and was offered the three-month warranty with an optional third-party warranty which we said we'd think about. The car seems fine, but should I push for six-months and/or consider the additional warranty? If so, what's a reasonable price? The car has done 52k and the deal includes a new cam-belt.
Used car warranties - Aprilia
Not a bad car. What do you think of the gearbox? I always find those Mitsi 5-speed units (F5M42) very notchy and baulky - although a bit of 'special brew' gearbox oil can help.

As regards the 'warranty' bit - well, I think the extra warranty offered by the dealer would be over and above your dealer's statutory legal obligations which run for 6 months and would be much less comprehensive than the warranty.
Thanks, Aprilia. I'm sure you're right that the statutory warranty would be fairly minimal, whereas what we're getting for a shorter time will be the full parts and labour. I (and, more importantly, my daughter-in-law) like the car. Nice driving position, smooth engine and a reasonable ride.

The gearbox was a bit notchy, but nothing you couldn't get used to, and I'm glad to know it's not just that particular vehicle.

The best thing about it is the packaging - lots of usable space in a compact box without too many dynamic compromises.
The gearbox was a bit notchy, but nothing you couldn't get
used to, and I'm glad to know it's not just that
particular vehicle.

If the dealer services the car don't let them change out the gearbox oil for a 75W-90 (they almost always do - and it makes it awkward to change gear).
They need no more than a 75W-85 (which is more different than it seems from looking at the numbers). Castrol VMX-M is the stuff - but you can't seem to get it in the UK, so use Castrol SMX-S instead. Jap gearboxes prefer the thinner oils, GL4 rated.
Thanks, Aprilia. A mine of useful information, as always! Is that what you meant by 'special brew', or is that an additive?
Thanks, Aprilia. A mine of useful information, as always! Is that
what you meant by 'special brew', or is that an additive?

Bascially by 'special brew' I meant a specially formulated manual transmission lubricant with friction modifiers for good synchro operation. Most owners and garages put in a 'general purpose' 75W-90 GL-4/5 lubricant. Most Japanese gearboxes run better with a lighter oil (no more than 12cSt kinematic viscosity @ 100deg.C and GL-4 rated). Such oils are hard to find in the retail market. Redline MTL or MT90 or AMSOil or similar spring to mind. I have resorted to importing some gearbox oil from the US and Germany because the lack of availability in the UK is a real problem. (Castrol SMX-S is available, but only in large quantities for the trade).