Peugeot 406 Coupe - BobbyG
Whilst sitting in a tailback yesterday, a shiny red 406 Coupe drew up alongside me. Wow!!!

It was absolutely beautiful, not a mark on it and , it would appear, not been modified in any way since new. I decided there and then I wanted one, albeit I will need to wait a couple of years!

Then looked at some on ebay and the sunken leather seats in the rear look great and there are some cracking examples on there as well.

Then I read CBCB and the first line of HJ's review is

Jawdropping Pininfarina styling. One of the best looking cars in the world.

Couldn't agree more. Now, I know it is based on a humble 406 repmobile but is this car going to be a Q car of the future? Other similar sized cars I can think of are the Royale, Monza, Calibra, Probe Cougar etc but they would seem to have very little appeal just now, especially the Fords.

Thoughts?
Peugeot 406 Coupe - Stuartli
As you say, the 406 Coupe is stunning - the biggest bar to even greater sales success was its list price.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
PS

The current Renault Megane coupe, especially in a champagne finish, is equally impressive.
Peugeot 406 Coupe - SjB {P}
One of my colleagues in Sweden had one until very recently. A serial Pugophile (he recently replaced it with a 407), his 3.0 V6 406 coupe, in metallic black, and always spotlessly clean and gleaming (someone after my own heart) did indeed look stunning.

Just a shame that the dashboard and interior trim plastics looked very low rent, and not a patch on Volvo, BMW, or whatever.
Peugeot 406 Coupe - BazzaBear {P}
For my money the Volvo C70 is a better (and *controversial comment* better-looking) car.
Not sure how the 2nd hand prices compare though, I'd guess the Volvo is a lot more expensive to buy too.
I have heard that the driving experience of the Pug nowhere near matches up to the looks, but that's third-hand opinion.
Peugeot 406 Coupe - cheddar
The 406 Coupe drives well, in V6 form anyway, the only one of the others that was a drivers car was the Cougar, the Probe was Mazda based and did not handle as well as Mondeos of the same era.

The difference in cred between a Monza and a Royale perhaps supprts my claim on another thread today that GM should have rebranded Vauxhall as Opel in the UK years ago.

Other notable coupe's based on saloons/hatches:

Jag XJ
Lancia Beta
Fiat (132?)
Manta (& Cavalier)
Puma
3 series
628, 633, 635.

Regards.
>>the only one of the others that was a driver's car was the Cougar>>

Because it was based on the Mondeo...:-)
Peugeot 406 Coupe - machika
Volvo C70 better looking than a 406 Coupe? Now that is controversial.
Peugeot 406 Coupe - Altea Ego
controversial? thats putting it mildly!
Peugeot 406 Coupe - machika
I was trying to be polite.
Peugeot 406 Coupe - blue_haddock
I love the look of the 406 Coupe, the only downside is that it's still got the standard 406 dash.

It must be the 3.0 V6 though, they sound fantastic with a decent exhaust on them.
Peugeot 406 Coupe - Round The Bend
I, too, am committed to getting a 406 coupe. Amazing looker - can't say that the Magane Coupe is in the same street for looks and style - er, you did n't mean a Maserati Coupe did you ........?

Hope to have one before long. May have to settle for the 2.0 as the V6 will be too painful mpg wise after the TDi130. Let us know when you get yours.
Peugeot 406 Coupe - VTiredeyes
im going for the bmw coupe.
i no there are a lot around, but the look of them are fantastic.
again, its a personal thing, if we were all the same, it would be a boring world
;-)
May have to settle for
the 2.0 as the V6 will be too painful mpg wise
after the TDi130. Let us know when you get yours.

Get the 2.2 Hdi version then - 136bhp as standard and easily chipped up to about 170bhp at fairly little cost
Peugeot 406 Coupe - Adam {P}
Do you know what I think the problem with the Coupe is. Well 2 problems.

As has been mentioned, the interior is a bog standard 406. Secondly, am I alone in thinking the front headlights are too small? I know it's a minor thing but they look far too small for the car.

I know I know. I'll go now.
--
Adam
Peugeot 406 Coupe - Imagos
As has been mentioned, the interior is a bog standard 406.

Agreed, As disapointing interior as is the exterior is as stunning (estuary english) although you do get silver rings around the clocks (wow!)

Ford managed to change the interior with it's Mondeo based coupe.
Peugeot 406 Coupe - Adam {P}
The Cougar is a very nice car to sit in. Can't comment on how it drives but I remember sitting inside when Dad bought the Focus. Very low but also very stylish.

I'd have a nice 2.5 V6 anyday.
--
Adam
Peugeot 406 Coupe - Reggie
"The 2.0 litre 406 coupe is much better to drive and much more sporty than a 406 saloon."

What is different apart from the shape of course, and probably it being a bit lighter, than the standard 406. Does it have revised geometry on the suspension, or a more powerful engine?

I would quite like one of these (probably the 2.2 diesel) and am curious.
Reggie
I'm not 100% sure but yes i do think the handling was sharpened up - it was designed as a tourer rather than an out and out sports car but the standard 406 saloon was set up as a family car so it does handle better.

Engines are exactly same power as the saloon version
Peugeot 406 Coupe - Reggie
Thanks for that
Reggie
Peugeot 406 Coupe - PST
I'll see if I can get some more details from him but Volvotrier (posts here occasionally) has got a 2.0 406 coupe. In general he is very pleased with it - performance, comfort, toys etc.

The one big drawback though is the gearing...apparently 70mph in 5th it's revving like the clappers and quite noisy. Spoils an otherwise excellent car.