Toyota Avensis steering Pump - merlinauto
Hi all, a member of the family has a 'T' regToyota Avensis 1.8. Good car except for a problem with the power steering.

The problem started such that on full lock the pulley on the power steering pump would stall and cause the belt to squeel. This has now progressed to stalling when loaded heavily eg. turning the steering wheel quickly at low road speeds; worse when the engine is cold.

Has anyone come across a similar problem, and is it likely to to a fault with the steering pump or steering rack?

Thanks in advance
Toyota Avensis steering Pump - elekie&a/c doctor
I think I would start by getting the belt replaced & retensioned ,(if it has not got a self adjusting tensioner)
Toyota Avensis steering Pump - Aprilia
I would say it is not the belt, but rather something is restricting the flow of fluid through the hydraulic circuit and loading the pump. My guess would be most likely a sticking relief valve or possibly a fault with the valving in the rack. A phone call to a PS reconditioner might be worth while (National PS services, or similar).
Toyota Avensis steering Pump - blue_haddock
I'll have a word with the technicians at work tomorrow and see what they recommend