New Driver Trailer Question - cheapaschips
Hi!

When I am a qualified driver do I have to take anymore tests to be able to tow a rear loading horse trailer?

I have found an old thread that says about towing with a 4X4 but does anyone know any other makes of Car/Van I can use?

thanks

Em
New Driver Trailer Question - v8man
All depends on how heavy the horse box is. In practice you are likely to be limited to a large 4x4 to haul something this size.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
New Driver Trailer Question - Cliff Pope
You don't need to take any more tests, but the limiting factor will be the weight of the box compared with that of the towing vehicle.
There have been technical threads on this subject before, but I think the usual guideline is that the trailer should not exceed 80% of the weight of the car. That is a recommendation (caravan club, I think) not a legal limit, but is strongly adisable especially for an inexperienced tower.
The absolute legal limit I think is only that the total drive weight - ie car plus box plus load plus horse must not exceed the weight stamped somewhere on the car. If it is an older vehicle with no stated limit then I don't know what rule applies.
I remember from years ago when I had a LandRover that it was classed as a "multipurpose" vehicle and there was no upper legal limit. A LandRover can pull a lorry, albeit slowly.
Realistically you probably need a 4X4, although old Volvo estates are commonplace at pony club meetings, and are certainly up to the job.
New Driver Trailer Question - RichardW
Since you passed your test after 1997, you are no longer entitled to tow trailers over certain weights. See:

www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/dl_towing_trailers.htm

However, I'd have thought you could find a vehicle that was heavy enough to keep you out of needing to take the trailer test - but that is almost certainly going to be a 4x4. I shall reserve judgement on whether it is a good idea for an inexperienced driver to be towing heavy horeseboxes with 4x4s...

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
New Driver Trailer Question - David Horn
I took a trailer test in a Discovery, assumption was that it saved all the faffing around and I was under the impression that it was the weight of the trailer that determined whether you could tow it or not.

I took the test for the same reason, towing a horse trailer. I'm uncertain as to whether I can legally drive our horse box until I'm over 21 (non HGV, 7.5 tonnes) and the DVLA regularly ignore emails enquiring about it.

The test isn't difficult, and well worth taking if you've never towed a trailer before. I grew up on a farm, so it was second nature to me, but a lot of people have no idea how to reverse one or don't take into account the extra length.

I would also add that if you intend to tow horses, you work very hard on smooth gear changes and remember that a horse falls asleep while on the motorway, so brake very gently and early when joining the sliproad to wake them up.
New Driver Trailer Question - Altea Ego
"I would also add that if you intend to tow horses, you work very hard on smooth gear changes and remember that a horse falls asleep while on the motorway, so brake very gently and early when joining the sliproad to wake them up."

Yup, and if you drive badly the horse is gonna let you know and make you sorry when you drop that tailboard!

New Driver Trailer Question - cheapaschips
hi everyone

thank you for your replies, advice and help!

it's certainly make things a lot easier to understand.

have a nice day

Em
New Driver Trailer Question - SlidingPillar
I'd imagine you do need a trailer license to tow a horse box, either by grandfather rights like me or by passing the test, with any legal tow vehicule. (In any event, you really need a landrover, discovery, big shogun etc).

What is not always noted is the limits are based on the maximum legal load for the trailer, not what you are acutually pulling.

The usual and more stable two horse type is very stoutly constructed and easily capable of carrying a very heavy load. I rather imagine the plate allows for this.

There are licence exceptions for powered horse boxes - carying horses, and I think you can go over the 7.5 tonne figure on a normal licence. But haul junk with it and you will be booked. The Pony Club can probably advise on this. All I know is that I have a friend who owns one and my (pre 97) car licence does cover it.
New Driver Trailer Question - Truckersunite
Depends on when you took your test. For the 7.5t Horsebox You may have to take a test for C1 licence, this is needed to drive a vehicle over 3.5t GVW.