Dash failure Skoda Octavia tdi 1999 - Michael Y
At start up usually all dials work but soon all die at same time - may come all come back to life for short time during journey. Electrics to dash tested ok - Can anyone recommend a dash repairer as new dash costs approx three hundred and fifty pounds.
Dash failure Skoda Octavia tdi 1999 - SjB {P}
I'd put my money on a bad earth, given that all dials work, or fail, together. If you don't have an electrician's bent yourself, as implied by the post, I suggest that you find a local auto electrician who can find the problem for you. I'm not familiar with the Octavia instrument cluster (shared with A3, Golf, and probably others) but it might simply be a grounding wire to the metal structure of the dash itself that is broken or has a loose or (less likely) corroded connection.
Dash failure Skoda Octavia tdi 1999 - Aprilia
It could be a poor supply or earth to the dash, or it could be what we call a 'dry joint' on the dash PCB (printed circuit board). Its not that unusual - I have fixed quite a few BMW 3s and 5s with this problem.

First off, check the earth to the dash module. It may be worthwhile running an additional earth wire from the dash to the chassis just to prove the point.

If that doesn't fix it then a local TV/video repairer should be able to 'reflow' the solder joints for you. The ones that fail are usually those where the multipin connector goes into the PCB - the tend to be subject to flexing and vibration and can fail early. This is a simple job that shouldn't take more than an hour. A TV/video repairer should have the skills and equipment for dealing with very small components; the average auto electrician may not be so used to dealing with these items.
Dash failure Skoda Octavia tdi 1999 - shawden
Hi, I have a similar fault exept mine only fire up for about 2 seconds on startup and then remain off. If you find a solution could you let me know as it is rather unnerving without a speedo. What would we do with our money if we didn`t have a car?
G.Shaw
Dash failure Skoda Octavia tdi 1999 - elekie&a/c doctor
This sounds like the fault that affects a lot of dash pods in the Vag model range and also some Peugeot /citroen models.One of the microprocessors on the dash pcb has failed.These can be replaced but you will need to find a dash/ electronic tech who can read the existing info in the chip and transfer it to the new chip and resolder it back onto pcb.Very delicate work.hth
Dash failure Skoda Octavia tdi 1999 - octo99

Digging up this old thread as I have the same problem. What colour is the earth wire on the pcb?

Is there anywhere I could get a diagram or image! My local tv/audio guy is going to look at the board.

Thanks