Cold Mornings Revisited - John Foley
Seasons Greetings to the best forum I visit.

Following on from the "Cold Morning" topic in September. Arse warming Swedish motors, Japanese wives etc

Could the backroom please advise me the best method to clear front the screen effectively on my Primera. It defies my attempts to clear it by remisting very quickly, rendering my first few hundred yards an accident waiting to happen

Could Darcy tell us more about his step fathers fan heater on the back shelf.
How was it powered.

Do I risk cracking the screen by using a battery powered hair dryer.

Has anyone a favourite de icer?

Thanks in advance
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - Alwyn
I have been using warm water for this job for 40 years with no problems. Others say you risk cracking your screen. You choose.

I find that it clears ice on the outside and mist/ice on the inside.

Need large jugs, sometimes two or three trips to the taps are needed. Make sure the water is only warm, not hot.

Cheers
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - Simon Saxton

Hot water used to be my favourite but not boiling.

Simon
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - Tom Shaw
Put a hot water bottle on the dashboard while you have your breakfast. The gentle dry heat is very effective at clearing the screen without risk of cracking it.
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - John S
Has your car a pollen filter? If so, it could well be blocked - they can need replacing as frequently as 15 - 20k miles. Common cause of internal misting.

Plus, if you have air con, don't forget that this can be used year round and will promptly clear the screen due to the dehumidifying action of the condenser.

Regards

John
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - Andrew
But I find this leads to steaming up even worse when the a\c is turned off. I've found this on a number of cars.
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - John S
Andrew

I have noticed this myself, and suspect the cause to be that when you turn the ac off, then some of the moisture is re-entrained. I just leave the ac on. I think the benefit of the quick demisting is worth it.

Regards

John
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - pete
I stopped using water to clear screens years ago and find deicers to be no better.
i always carry a piece of plastic and scrape the windows clean after ive started the engine running (i know its not good for the engine but what is) and switched on the rear screen , also put on the aircon on demist or if no aircon heater on hot all to the screen, by the time all screens are scraped clear the bottom of the screen inside will be clearing. the front screen may need a second scrape last thing
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - Roger Jones
Try prevention before cure, keeping the outside of the screen as free of ice as possible. The most effective preventive device I know of is a doormat -- one of the thinner ribbed ones -- on the windscreen, fibrous side to the glass, trapped in place by the wipers. And, if you have any choice, park the car with the front end nearest your house, the residual heat from which will reach the nearest bits of the car.
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - Alwyn
Yes, That is known as the Trombe wall effect where buildings take in heat during the day and release it at night.

This is also why scientists paid by governments to find "proof of global warming" look at urban thermometer readings at night. The "Urban Heat Island effect.

Rural thermometrs show no such rising trend. All this from an icy window.

Isn't science wonderful?
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - Jonathan (in Canada)
I use a common or garden hand towel trapped under the wipers. They are cheap, easy to wash and mean you dont have to scrape. I usually have to do the side windows, but it saves time and reduces fogging.

Jonathan
Cold Mornings Revisited - David Lacey
I think I am right in thinking a vehicle air conditioning system shuts down in temperatures below 5 deg C.

Perhaps Dave N could confirm?

(I knew I should have gone along to the Autoclimate Training with the boys!)

Rgds

David
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - David Burton
I use a 1kw mains fan heater on an extension lead. I put it on the front passenger seat with its front lifted on a block to point it upwards and in the direction of the steering wheel. About 20 minutes while I have my breakfast clears ice and mist and warms the car for comfort too.
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - THe Growler
(smug)......here it's 34 at 0700 today (Centrigrade that is) and the sun has baked insects and sap on my screen. What's the fastest way of cooling down the car interior so I don't burn my bum?
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - RogerL
Air-con shuts down at 4 - 5 degrees because it would literally freeze and block the air vents. This means that you should leave the air-con on all year and let it take care of itself.
Re: Cold Mornings Revisited - dan
Attach clean lint free duster to left hand, extend forward and wipe screen as you drive along. Repeat as necessary, (until heater does job for you).
BTW remember not to swerve into ditch as you do it.

dan