DVLA meltdown? - meditek
My situation is :-

a) I applied to put my REG on retention, actually got a new REG and sold my car last week but am told it will be weeks before the new V5 arrives along with my retention certificate.

b) I bought a 'new' car yesterday. The owner had sent off his application to put his number on retention last week but nothing happened. After 2 days of trying to contact the DVLA he was told it would probably be May 4th before he got notification of his new reg. They could tell him when his V5 would arrive.

c) so I'm driving with his personal reg (worth more than the car).

d) I want to put my personal reg (still in limbo at the DVLA) on the car.

e) I will also need to tax it in a couple of months and have no confidence I'll have the V5 by then!

The DVLA just don't seem to have the staff to operate their organisation properly. It's not helped by the over-complicated systems in this country. It's far simpler in America.

Meanwhile, has anybody any suggestions what I can/should do in these circumstances. It would seem that if one stuck rigidly to the DVLA's guidelines then trading in cars would just about cease!

Thanks
DVLA meltdown? - Ex-Moderator
Rang up for a duplicate V5 on Wednesday. It arrived on Thursday.
DVLA meltdown? - meditek
Oddly enough I tried to ring them on Wednesday too. I started at 9.0 AM and received 'All our 220 lines are busy etc' with no option to hold. I tried all morning - must have dialled about 60 times. Around 1.30 PM I managed to get through and was put on hold for about 15 minutes. Finally my question was answered with a 'Put it in the post and you'll get it back in an unspecified period of time.'

If only I could just ask for a new V5! I'm stuck till the registration numbers are sorted out!
DVLA meltdown? - meditek
Bump...

Does nobody have a suggestion solution to this?

Thanks
DVLA meltdown? - SlidingPillar
Go in person to local VRO? (I assume you kept copies of everything).

I know that issuing the new V5s is taking some effort as I sent one of for changes in early July last year(being a good boy and notifying of colour change etc). Got the correct one back in September.

I suspected then that "abnormal work" was very much on the back burner.
DVLA meltdown? - meditek
Thanks.

It's an 80 mile round trip to my 'local' office. Last time I went the queue stretched out onto the street. Waited an hour and a half!

Seems I copied everything except the V5 for the car that needs taxing at the end of the month! Why do we put up with this 'service'? Any private organisation would be bankrupt in double quick time if it had the DVLA's attitude to it's customers!

David
DVLA meltdown? - Rishab C
Write and get compensation, I got £90 with New Labour's Passport fiasco about 5 years ago.
DVLA meltdown? - Thommo
Sorry to hear this.

In all my dealings with DVLA including when my father died and I had to get the car transferred in to my Uncle's name I found them fast efficient and unfailingly polite. I even asked one guy if it was really a government department as it worked so well.