Chrome Tailpipe - Sarah Davies
The end of my exhaust looks a bit dirty (I'm refering to the car and not me!!!)

I'm looking on ebay and was thinking of getting one of those chrome tailpipe covers.

Have anyone bought one of those?
Could anyone recommend a place where I should get it?
Can they do any damage to the exhaust?
Does the chrome get dirty and peel off?

Cheers
Chrome Tailpipe - madf
I have fitted them to a BMW320i and a Fiesta 1.6
1. Measure the external diameter of your tailpipe and ensure the one you will buy has an external diameter just large enough to fit.
2. Any small motor factor sells them - prices £3 to £5.
3. They attach with a screw which is tightened to grip the exhaust. It has a blunt end so unless you overtighten, they do no damage and can be removed afterwards.
4. The chaep ones rust and the chrome peels. If you want to avoid that buy a stainless steel one or a more expensive one. Look in Halfords. You will pay more.

I ended up painting mine with heatproof aluminium paint after a year to match the rest of the exhaust on my Fiesta. I painted my BMW ones matt black.(the original BMW ones rusted through after 5 years).

Unless you are very sure, buying a cheap one on ebay means you will get cheap chrome which will not last a winter's salt spray and exhaust heat.

madf

Chrome Tailpipe - L'escargot
Halfords sell them but they cost an arm and a leg.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Chrome Tailpipe - Roger Jones
I had great difficulty finding the chrome tips of the right size for my Capri 2.8i. But find them I did, at an amazing emporium, Millfield Autos in Peterborough (courtesy of a kind individual in this forum), which had a very comprehensive range of sizes. Having now changed the exhaust system to stainless steel, I have several spare sets, but I bet 42mm is too small for your purposes (I also have a pair of 45mm).

As for fitting, the inner diameter was actually 0.5mm smaller than the outer diameter of the tailpipes, but they went on after wire-brushing the grunge off and forcing them on with some firm hits with a club hammer, protecting the metal with a sturdy block of wood. That pair got dumped with the old exhaust, and I doubt they would have come off anyway. I'd suggest you aim for that sort of tight fit if you can. Millfield can tell you what the correct size is for your car.