room with a view - El Hacko
Just spent a few days in Spain, much of it being driven in roomy 20 year old Peugeot 206 (still going strong), and one thing that struck me was the fabulous all round vision - thanks to deep windows. Today's designs involve ever higher "waistlines" and, particularly for young passengers, less chance to see out. I particularly resent (as a driver) high rear screen sills, e.g. Seat Leon, which make reversing more hazardous. Which other cars suffer in this way?

room with a view - mjm
My Xantia. The rest of the car is so good that I forgive it, anyway.
room with a view - blue_haddock
Just spent a few days in Spain, much of it being
driven in roomy 20 year old Peugeot 206

206? surely the 206 is only 7 years old or so

205 perhaps?
room with a view - El Hacko
whoops... 205, of course - thanks BH
room with a view - Imagos
Waistline quite high on Vauxhall Signum, Vectra, BMW 5 series to name but a few.

Is this crash test related?
room with a view - Altea Ego
"Is this crash test related?"

Its possible. I can see why a higher waist line would aid rigidity and spread crash loads.

Seems to me that if you want good panoramic views these days you have to go MPV. All the "sit up and beg" mini/Midi/Large MPVs have good large windows.

room with a view - alfaboy
The rear screen is v high on my 156 but remembering there is not much behind it and the view from the wing mirrors is enough but for cars with good visibility its hard to beat my other car BMW 2002tii.
room with a view - Bill Payer
Although it's hard to believe it's significant, I read once that glass is heavier than steel so windows are kept to the minimum size feasible to keep weight down.
room with a view - commerdriver
I alsways assumed, with no scientific knowledge at all, that it probably made the aerodynamics easier if the back end was higher.

I guess part of the thing with doors & smaller windows might be to to with all the electrics in them, certainly the driver's door on my Saab is a lot heavier than the (bigger) driver's door on the Commer.
"BMW 2002tii"

Is that the L/H drive only with all the lurid turbo stickers on it?

Yummy.
room with a view - alfaboy
not quite - R/H drive with fuel injection. No stickers, finished in a nice sedate 70's yellow. Still yummy?
Alas sorry no, not quite so yummy. Still tasty tho.