Fiesta oil warning light - loopyjen
As some of you may recall I have a 1995 Fiesta Sapphire and once again I have a small problem that I am unable to get to the bottom of. It is with regards the oil warning light. Sometimes when I start the engine the light does not come on, and then other times it does. I check the oil regularly, about every 250 miles or so as I'm aware that fiesta's have a tendancy to use quite alot and I frequently have to top it up. When I do this the oil warning light will come on at start up, along with the battery light, but then it won't appear at other times.

I always thought that if there was a problem the warning light was supposed to come on, not the opposite. The oil is never low, so I can't see it being that. The last time the light failed to come on for a length of time was just before the alternator went, in January '05, and the AA man said that this was a key sign of alternator failure, I can't see it being that again as it was only replaced in January as I said.

Does any one have any clue what this could be? Is it a problem or just a little idiosyncracy with my car? The other thought I had was that it could just be the bulb but as I've said it works sometimes and not others so I'm guessing the bulb is fine.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Fiesta oil warning light - RichardW
Sounds like the oil pressure switch is sometimes sticking open, or the wiring is bit dodgy somewhere (the light comes on when it is earthed via the pressure switch - dodgy cabling = no earth = no light). The switch should be cheap and easy to change* as a first step.

*I've got a switch on the shelf in the garage for a BX TD that was exhibiting similar symptoms, but never fitted it, as I couldn't get a spanner anywhere near the switch! Fault went away after I changed the oil.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Fiesta oil warning light - Altea Ego
I would suspect the connection on the oil pressure switch. Its usually only a "push on/pull off" spade connector. I would clean it up and check its tight.