Catch 22 - teabelly
My other half might have a job opportunity that means a much greater commute. His current car will fall to bits if subjected to this but he can't afford to replace the car with anything more than another banger of more than about £400 so no gain from his current old cavalier. Finance is really out of the question too.

I suggested short term contract hire that I would pay for but he'd be driving the car. Are there any places that do good 6-12 month deals and let someone else be the main driver? The car can be any age up to 4 or 5 years old (probably want included maintenance on the latter!) Once he has been earning decent money for a bit then buying another car that would cope is less of a problem.

Anyone else got any bright ideas? I can't think of any sub £1000 car that would be able to manage 60 mile round trip each day without costing an arm and a leg.

Does anyone know if Toyota have their own rail stop or other public transport scheme in place? That would pretty much solve the problem providing the cost wasn't too outrageous.
teabelly
Catch 22 - spikeyhead {p}
If his curren tcar keeps going for a few months, then that should allow him chance to put a few pounds aside for a better replacement. Even if it needs the occaisional thing repairing then it will be worth spending a little on it to keep it runnign a few more months.

Cheap cars are always a gamble. Anythign can let go at any time on an old banger. Its just a matter of guesswork how long they'll last.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Catch 22 - blue_haddock
Does anyone know if Toyota have their own rail stop or
other public transport scheme in place? That would pretty much solve the problem providing the cost wasn't too outrageous.

Do you mean head office at Burgh Heath or the factory at Burnaston?

As far as i know there isn't a train station nearby (either Burton on Trent or Derby would be nearest) There are buses that go past the factory but not sure about stopping there.

Once he has been working there for 6 months there are some cracking staff purchase schemes available or he can buy one of the ex-management cars at a good rate.

As for short term contract hire have a look at this website - may be of some use. You'd struggle to find a normal contract hire scheme for less than 12 months

www.transfercontracts.co.uk/
Catch 22 - teabelly
It will be the factory at Burnaston. I have seen some schemes for 9 months now and again, forgot where I saw them though.

I'll have a look at that website :-)
teabelly
Catch 22 - blue_haddock
Where will he be coming from? There are so many people who work there it should be fairly simple to find some one fairly local to cadge a lift with?

Catch 22 - teabelly
He'll be coming in from Stoke. I'm sure he'll find someone when he actually starts work there but there is no harm in planning just in case there isn't anyone (or there are and they're all scary drivers! )
teabelly
Catch 22 - blue_haddock
I could give him a lift myself - i drive from Hanley to Burton everyday and go past the factory on my way in!

Public transport would be a nightmare.
Catch 22 - teabelly
You live in Hanley?! By 'eck duck it's a small world! Very kind of you to offer. I'll let him know. He's still only in the early stages of applying at the mo so it could of course never happen but no harm in sorting something out in advance :-)

teabelly