Warning light - Leo Charlton
I have noticed a amber warning light on my Citroen Xantia 1.9D.
ITs directly above the parking light and looks like a reservoir with pipes on either side. Any ideas what it means please.

leo
Re: Warning light - David W
Leo,

Water in diesel fuel filter warning lamp. This light is prone to false indications but I would replace the filter/drain the filter bowl if you haven't done this for six months.

Not the time of year for water there.

David
Re: Warning light - Leo Charlton
please excuse my ignorance but where would I find this filter (not had the car long, bit I have been promised a haynes manual for Xmas)

leo
Leo,

You are lucky, the Xantia is one of the easiest fuel filters to locate/change.

The filter is in a round black plastic housing with four socket head bolts on top. Unscrew these hex socket bolts and lift the top. The filter is a drop in type and the rubber seal is pre fitted to the filter.

Fit the new filter and tighten the bolts evenly/sensibly to avoid stripping the threads. Prime the diesel system with the rubber bulb near the drivers side suspension strut top (pump a few times). Then start the engine and after a couple of seconds of rough running as any air bleeds through it will be fine.

David
PS.

Should have said obviously you need to drain off/suck out the dirty fuel left in the housing before you fit the new filter.

David
Re: Warning light - mike harvey
Text book answer David. Now tell Leo what to do when the air does not pump out!
Mike
Re: Warning light - Darcy Kitchin
David

No drain on the Xantia filter bowl?
Darcy,
There is a drain on the Xantia filter bowl but I was giving Leo the choice.

Mike,
Now remember Leo's not even read the Haynes yet so we don't want to stress him with a hard to bleed system. Actually I find the Xantia one excellent. Try it with my old tractor and it will use most of the battery capacity cranking over before it goes again.

David