BMW questions - GreatestDancer
Ok lads I'm about to join the masses of BMW owners - I've bought a second hand 330d and am picking it up on Saturday.

I've got the usual newbie questions and was hoping to find an online resource which can tell all. However looking around the web I can't seem to find anything. Also I've looked in HJ's directories but there's nothing useful in there. So does anyone have any links?

The thing I most want to know is that, as the car is 4 years old and has covered 107k miles, will it be in need of a timing chain change? The last service of the car was at 91k so the garage is going to do a (non-BMW) service on it but I just want to check what the status is with the chain - I've bought a car before (Passat) only for the timing belt to break within a month or so of ownership... That hurt financially...

Oh and whilst I'm here, on the test drive I checked the service records and they showed services at:

All BMW. I was a bit concerned at the jump from 26k to 52k, and also the fact that the car now has 107k on the clock and no service, but am taking comfort from the fact that it comes with a 1yr warranty and will be freshly serviced. Am I missing anything?!

Thx Rich
BMW questions - Pugugly {P}
Not too sure on the technical questions but an useful link for you.
www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/indexfiles/mainfram.html

It is a cracking car, a truly cracking car, you will never want anything else though......
BMW questions - Aprilia
The timing chains on these engines do not need routine replacement. You will hear it rattling on start-up when it needs replacing (should be long time yet).

When they service it try to get them to replace the primary fuel filter, change the coolant and also the brake fluid. That should set you up for a while. Some car sellers idea of a 'service' is an oil and filter change. These engines need regular BMW-spec coolant changes otherwise the heads corrode.
BMW questions - Oz
It is a cracking car, a truly cracking car, you will never
want anything else though......

I agree. This 3 litre straight six diesel is an acknowledged classic. Performance (bags of torque) and economy, a great long-distance cruiser.

Telling you what you already probably know, the service intervals alternate around the cycle Oil Service -> Inspection I -> Oil Service -> Inspection II, which I personally find are widely spaced time-wise and not too arduous financially.
These are usage-based and will probably be spaced at least 13,500 miles apart, possibly considerably further apart(the on-board computer calculates the ideal). Sounds like your car has done a fair % of business mileage which will have been less wearing than short stop-start journeys and resulted in longer service intervals anyway.
Parallel to the above usage-based services are the two time based minor services: Brake fluid (every 2 years) and coolant (every 4 years).
Hope this helps.

Oz (as was)
I should have added, check the Service interval thing. (shows up on start up) Depending on its exact age it will tell you when it wants brake fluid. I would change its oil though. If you're doing it yourself the correct spec oil is available from your friendly dealer a lesser price than certain car part supermarkets. The beauty of a Beemer is that you cam look after it correctly with the correct bits for the right prices. I really hope you enjoy it.
thanks guys - I appreciate the replies. Already I've learnt one thing - it's a straight six not a V6... Good news on the services - I'm a keen DIYer so may try the next service myself (after the warranty runs out in a year or so).

I'm SOOO excited about getting the car now - picking it up saturday morning so I have the whole weekend to play with it. Also when I looked at the car it was dirty inside and out (trader had been driving it) so can't wait to see it freshly valeed when I collect....

Rich
BMW questions - shaun
www.bmwland.co.uk is a good website for BMW owners.
Well to give you all an update, I picked up the BMW 330d on Saturday morning - am VERY pleased with it... Pulls like a train, looks the nuts and so far (two 30 mile motorway trips, one very badly congested) I'm averaging 49mpg on the trip computer which I'm very pleased with for a 2.9 litre straight six engine....

One question I have for you knowleadgable people is this: how can I tell if I have xenon headlights? The headlamps are retina-burningly bright, and the colour of the light is very white indeed. Also, when the headlamps first turn on the beams that they project kind of 'rise up' as if the lense is moving (like on a Mazda MX5 as the lamps rise out of the bonnet). I've noticed that when I change the headlamp height adjuster the beams move really smoothly so it's obviously electrically controlled (if this makes sense).

The car wasn't sold as having xenons, but I can honestly say these beams are the brightest I've seen on a car for a long time - and that includes after I fitted a set of those 50% brighter replacement bulbs on my lotus elise last year....

How can I check?

Thx for advice

Rich
Very pleased that you're pleased, may you have many years of happy motoring with it. Difficult to tell you hw to tell whether the lights are xenon or not. The non xenon lights on the three move up when you first turn them on. Hve you checked the back of the units ? Very sharp cut off and a distinctive "flash" when you first turn them on,,,,,
BMW questions - VTiredeyes
should have xenon written around the ring around front light.
honest, have a look.
if it hasent, then they aint.
and they are elipsoide lights.
look the same when switched off.
kinda blurred alien eye. like a fogged up (cant remember the name of those things, you shake them and swirls of bits float around, kids toy, got a castle or summat in them, and when you place them down the bits swirl in the water and then slowly fall to the bottem. and its clear again.)
(jeez did i write all that? doh!)
BMW questions - Phil P
You haven't got xenons since if you did there wouldn't be a manual headlight level adjuster in the car.

It's an EU requirement that xenon headlamps must be self-levelling and any car fitted with them must also have headlamp washers.

----
PhiL
BMW questions - Altea Ego
"like a fogged up (cant remember the name of those things, you shake them and swirls of bits float around, kids toy, got a castle or summat in them, and when you place them down the bits swirl in the water and then slowly fall to the bottem. and its clear again.)
(jeez did i write all that? doh!)"

Snow storm.

ok thanks guys - think I can conclude that I don't have xenons, I do, however have incredibly bright headlamps which I'm very pleased with

Rich
lol RF
snow storm?

i dont think they are called that!

nice one rich. enjoy those bright headlamps, just as the light nights are drawing in!
www.monsterseek.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?pro...6
www.monsterseek.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?pro...6

even a salty sailor !!!!!!!!
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1

snow globe, thank the lord i found out what its called, i was starting to lose sleep over it.
not ;-)