audi80-cat converter - nand
I have 1993 audi80 2.0E,184000 miles,the middle part of the exhaust was replaced recently by my local garage technician-he did nlt weld it properly first time and it needed welding 2nd time 2 days later.i have since noticed that on pressing the accelerator,the exhaust seems to make a vibrating noise,it seems to drive ok.I have pointed this out to him and he tells me that the catalytic converter needs replacing.what are the symptoms of cat converter being faulty and would the mid portion of exhaust not replaced correctly first time round have contributed to the problem.should i take a 2nd opinion before spending £200 odd pounds on this repair
any suggestions most gratefully accepted
audi80-cat converter - Andy P
I'm surprised it needing welding - most exhausts use either sleeve or butt joints so they can be taken apart for replacement.

If you have the emissions tested, that should tell you whether the cat is failing or has failed.

Alternatively, it could be:

1. the heat shield above the catalyst vibrating
2. the exhaust vibrating against the heat shield
3. a broken baffle in the silencer

Andy

audi80-cat converter - nand
Thanks
I have got it seen by the local ATS and kwitkfit and they seem to think the cat needs replacing,though haven't tested emission levels.the vibrating sound does seem to come from the where the cat is,so i assume they are talking sense.I was always under the impression that cats are for life.what damage will it cause if I do not change the cat (costs bet 215-270£),are there any places where I might get the parts cheaper and be reliable as well.As I have kept the car for almost 10 yrs I am quite keen on keeping it for as long as it is possible without going overboard on repairs etc.what do other backroomers feel.
audi80-cat converter - madf
you can buy cheaper
www.topgear.co.uk/acatalog/Audi.php

madf