Osram Silver Star Bulbs - ihpj
I just wanted to say a big 'thank you' to everyone who has commented on these bulbs - your feedback and thoughts were very useful as I recently bought a set for my PUG 205 GTi and upgraded the lights on my 330.

In both cars the light emitted is much better (brighter), whiter and gives a clearer vision of whats on the road. I was concerend that the benefit might not be as great as others had found (as I got the impression that any benefit was very much car dependant) on their own vehicles.

I bought mine off eBay and I cannot be happier with the Osrams now that they are fitted in both vehicles. the difference these bulbs have made is dramatic.

So, many thanks for sharing your views and experiences folks :)

---

BTW if anyone decides to change the bulbs on their 330, be warned that the air filter box is situated very close to nearside headlamp unit. This leaves you with very little space in which to manouver the fitment free and repalce the bulbns- but it can be done. You will either need to remove the headlight unit completely, unbolt the air box or get someone with small thin hands to fit the bulbs ;) Being lazy I persevered and managed to fit the bulbs in the nearside unit after a few minutes of struggling - you have been warned! :)
Osram Silver Star Bulbs - Stuartli
>>This leaves you with very little space in which to manouver the fitment free and repalce the bulbns- but it can be done.>>

It's the same with my VW Bora, except that it's the battery that severely restricts the area in which to work.

I did manage it eventually but noted that one of the retaining clips on the back of the headlight case cover was broken off. Seems the previous owner had similar difficulty...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Osram Silver Star Bulbs - David Horn
Bit late now, but don't forget to wear gloves when you fit the bulbs otherwise oil from your fingers will see them to a rapid end.
Bit late now, but don't forget to wear gloves when you
fit the bulbs

I'm always careful with that :)
Osram Silver Star Bulbs - Ben79
>> Bit late now, but don't forget to wear gloves when
you
>> fit the bulbs
I'm always careful with that :)

It's OK to hold the metal contacts with your fingers. Isn't it?
It's OK to hold the metal contacts with your fingers. Isn't
it?

Hope so man, cause thats where I held mine ebfore I fitted them to my PUG and BMW :)
Osram Silver Star Bulbs - trancer
Contacts will be ok, the problem is oils on the glass causes it to break when it gets hot. Contacts won't break if they get hot, but they shouldn't be getting hot anyway.

I have the Silverstars on my car, but recently bought some Halfords brand Super Brilliance (another BR recommendation)for the wife's car and was so impressed that I bought a spare set for my car for when the Silverstars expire. They were running an unadvertised buy one get one free offer at the time so ask someone if it is still on even if there are no signs etc about.
I read out the Halfords ones on the Backroom Forum search and was tempted, but scouring eBay I found a fantastic deal on the osrams so I bought one set for my PUG and two sets for my 330 from there and only paid £35 ALL in :)

Maybe I'll look at Halfords next time. Thanks anyways.
Osram Silver Star Bulbs - trancer
If you are saying you got 3 sets of silverstars for £35 to your door, don't waste your time going to Halfords. Even with the buy one get one free offer they won't be that cheap.
I bought:

1 x Pair H4 (for my PUG 205)
2 x Pair H7 (for SWMBOs 330)

The whole lot off eBay (from the same seller) for £35 all in. Lights have made a marked improvement in both vehicles and I am very happy with them. Credit to fellow Backroomers for their advice in previous posts.