Techie Forum Question - Mark (Brazil)
I read the forum from a number of different computers. Therefore it is a pain in the wotsit to remember what I have read or not.

Is there something I can about this ? Like where is the history held and can I copy it from one machine to another ?

Of course, if this site was sorted by "last posted" it would be easier, but that is probably like the edit button and chicken teeth.
Re: Techie Forum Question - Brill
Mark (B),

Yes good question for those of us with more than one point of access.

I thought you may be able to transfer the cookie, but I haven't found a way. Hope a techie will enlighten us.

Stu.
Re: Techie Forum Question - Andrew Smith
Accessing from an NT4 domain with a roaming profile I find that as long as machine 1 is logged off before accesing machine 2 then all is well.
Still browsing from home is almost impossible as I can't see which posts are new or not.
This isn't a problem on a certain other forums because I'm willing to take or leave a lot of the stuff that gets posted, so if I don't read it I'm not too worried. Most of the posts on this one are quite interesting so it's nice to be able to follow them to the bitter end.
Re: Techie Forum Question - markymarkn
I have the same problem Mark, very annoying.

Usually I just try and remember the last one I read and just read new posts on the other pc.

Need some kind of cookie synchroniser I reckon. Wonder if they have one at downloads.com.

Lets see...

Mark.
Re: Techie Forum Question - Phil Dando
Cookies are used in "The Back Room" to store the name and email address you enter so that you don't have to fill them in each time. These are stored on your local computer or in the case of someone on an NT domain they'll also be on the network so that they follow you from PC to PC.

What you're interested in is the visited links, or history of where you've been. IE stores in a folder a list of visited links which results in (on some pages) the colour of the link being different to normal.

On a Win2k machine you'll find this folder at

C:\Documents and Settings\"yourprofilename"\Local Settings\History

on a windows9x machine it might be something like

c:\windows\system\profiles\....... (a guess so goto start/find(search) and search for it)

I've not tried this but copying this folder from one PC to another will probably give you the desired result. If you fancy trying this then make a backup of your history folder before trying or do some additional research on the internet.

Cheers, Phil
Re: Techie Forum Question - Phil Dando
I may have misinterpreted the question. Is it that you want it so that the "New" icon pops up against any entry since the last time you looked when the previous time you viewed the page was on a different machine or are we talking th efact that if you go to another machine the visited links on the forum are not a different color to the ones you've not visited before?

The latter is a history file issue while the former will be related to cookies.

Cheers, Phil
Re: Techie Forum Question - Brian
Slightly different line, but is the fact that the "Quote" function only appears on threaded view and not on flat view an attribute of Phorum or can Martyn BRM get it added to flat view?
Re: Techie Forum Question - Martyn, Back Room moderator
Brian wrote:
>
> Slightly different line, but is the fact that the "Quote"
> function only appears on threaded view and not on flat view
> an attribute of Phorum or can Martyn BRM get it added to flat
> view?

Dammit! You're right! Well, the short answer is, no, I can't. I've looked at other bbs which use this same out-of-date version and they don't appear to have "Quote" in flat view either. (I never use flat view, so haven't noticed this before). However, when Stephen writes our new version, I'll make sure it does have a universal "Quote" button. How's that?
Phil,

> "Is it that you want it so that the "New" icon pops up against any entry since the last time you looked when the previous time you viewed the page was on a different machine"

That's it, but also that those threads which you *have* viewed and which have no new posts do not have the "New" against them.

Stu.
Re: Techie Forum Question - Andrew Smith
If I'm right then the 'new' buttons are generated at by the site. If so all that should be required is for the site to believe that we are the same user that we were on the other machine. Difficult to accomplish without some kind of login.
Andrew Smith wrote:
>
> If I'm right then the 'new' buttons are generated at by the
> site. If so all that should be required is for the site to
> believe that we are the same user that we were on the other
> machine. Difficult to accomplish without some kind of login.

Both functions (what's new, and what's been read) are controlled by cookies.

Each time your browser logs off from the forum, the number of the most recent message is stored in a cookie called 'phorum - new - carguides' on that specific computer's hard disk (I was going to say 'Winchester' -- showing my age there!). Next time you log on from the same computer, any message with a number greater than (i.e. younger than) the stored number carries the "New" flag.

Each time, during a discrete surfing session, your browser asks our server for another message, it adds the number to a cookie called 'phorum - read - carguides', and this governs the way that read and unread messages are displayed.

In answer to Mark's original question, there isn't any way to overcome the problem of access from multiple computers I'm afraid.
Re: Techie Forum Question - Mark (Brazil)

> In answer to Mark's original question, there isn't any way to overcome the problem of access from multiple computers I'm
> afraid.

Bloomin' 'eck, what kind of defeatist hacker are you ??

Tools
Internet Options
Settings
View Files

Double click on Phorum to open file.

Message "Do you wish to execute system command blah blah gates blah"

search file, normally single line, look for phrase "phorum-new-carguide"

Take note of number immed. after that phrase, in between a couple of black blots.

Go to new/other computer. This must have already accessed the Forum at some point so that it actually has the cookie.

Do above again, except insert number you took note of in place of number actually there.

Exit, refresh Phorum screen.

NOTE: I only tested it once on test machine next to me, but it worked that once, so I am optimistic.

Therefore, I assume that tonight when I leave here, I can take a note of that number, change the other cookie when I get home, and see what happens.

I'll let you know.

Although I bet Martyn will have told me what's wrong with this approach before then !!

Now, about that edit button...........

M.
btw, I should point out I am talking about the "new" flag, not the fact that the line changes colour.

And I just tried it on another machine, and it works.

The only thing to watch seems to be when you change the number. You need to chane it *before* you go to the Phorum, because it seems that if you do it after thent he Phorum can overwrite it somehow.

But other than that, changing computers just got a load easier for me.
Re: Techie Forum Question - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
Mark (Brazil) wrote:
>

> other than that, changing computers just got a load
> easier for me.

If I can help somebody....
Re: Techie Forum Question - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
Mark (Brazil) wrote:
>

>
> Bloomin' 'eck, what kind of defeatist hacker are you ??
>
...etc.
>
> Although I bet Martyn will have told me what's wrong with
> this approach before then !!

Except that he's gone to bed!
> Except that he's gone to bed!

He might have done, I haven't.

Just leaving the office to go down to "La Garota de Ipanema" which is a bar in, predictably, Ipanema. If Martyn was awake (when is he ever ?) he would be able to tell you about that bar - one where I once met not only the original girl from ipanema, but also Astrud Gilberto.
OK, finally made it to my laptop. It works a treat, just typed in the number and it shows all the messages posted since the last time I read the forum, even though that was on a different machine.

Everybody who cares is clear how to do it ?
Re: Techie Forum Question - David W
Mark,

If this does work truly brilliant. I don't use different PCs but I do clear the Internet cache on a regular basis with "Windows Washer".

What I try to do is get 100% up to date, then do a "wash" and come straight back to the forum so in 10mins the chances are I've missed very little.

That means I can "Mark all read" and carry on. However if, like last night, I do a wash mid evening and don't return to the following morning then every post shows as new and it is a devil to pick up again.

I'll give it a go next time I clear the cache.

David
Re: Techie Forum Question - David W
Mark you crafty hacker.

I've just tested this and it works. I noted the number in the cookie this morning at 8.35am and then again just now (10.00am), it had risen by about 20.

So I've just edited the number back to the 8.35am figure, having closed IE, and logged back onto the site. Well blow me all the "new" flags were exactly as 8.35am.

Now I've incremented the cookie number again to the 10.00am figure and the "new" flags are only on the posts from the last few minutes.

Think you may have fallen over the line and left the ladder on the other side though.

David
Made my life a lot easier, glad it helped you.

M.
David W wrote:
>
> Mark you crafty hacker.

How come no-one's saying how great I am for explaining the cookie mechanism in the first place!
> How come no-one's saying how great I am for explaining the cookie mechanism in the first place!

Ummm....

>>In answer to Mark's original question, there isn't any way to overcome the problem of access from multiple computers I'm afraid.

Knowing something is one thing, doing something useful with it is another.

Regards,

Clever and *Useful* of Rio
missed a it on the end.... - Mark (Brazil)

> Just leaving the office to go down to "La Garota de Ipanema" which is a bar in, predictably, Ipanema. If Martyn was awake (when is he ever ?) he would be able to tell you about that
> bar - one where I once met not only the original girl from ipanema, but also Astrud Gilberto.

..but also Astrud Gilberto is played endlessly there.
Mark (Brazil) wrote:
>
> I read the forum from a number of different computers.
> Therefore it is a pain in the wotsit to remember what I have
> read or not.
>
> Is there something I can about this ? Like where is the
> history held and can I copy it from one machine to another ?
>
> Of course, if this site was sorted by "last posted" it would
> be easier, but that is probably like the edit button and
> chicken teeth.

Mark, you disappoint me! Or was it I who disappointed you?

For what it's worth, I have the same problem when I switch from this computer to the one at home.

As for the edit button, that is exactly like chicken teeth, for it won't happen. I've already written about this elsewhere, as I think you've probably seen.
Martyn
Sounds good to me.
I am just surprised that you were unaware.
(See previous threads on observation) ;-)
Mark (B),

If you could just pop out and purchase a Macintosh, then let me know how to do it . . .
Don't Macs use cookies ? They must do, surely ?
And make sure it's a clean Mackintosh.
There are some strange tales about men in dirty Macs, so I hear.
> "Don't Macs use cookies ? They must do, surely?"

Yep, and I can see the number to which you refer, and see that it changes per visit, but it isn't copy/editable, so unless a mac guru is reading this ...

Anyway not worth losing sleep over.
Re: Techie Forum Question - Ian L
Does everyone else use MicroS*** IE for web browsing?

I am interested because I use Netscape under a few non-MS operating systems on servers and PCs which all works perfectly for the Backroom, but refuses to display almost any other HJ pages correctly.

Not a complaint since the pages I check most often are useable, but interested to see if anyone else is using non-MS software out there.

cheers

Ian
More Questions - Kev
Why on the navigation bar above this typing box thing do the first two hyperlinks say 'New Topic' then 'Go to top', but in the main forum the navigation bar is 'Go to top' then 'New topic'

Is there a reason, or am I nit-picking for nit-picking's sake?

Kev, feel pedantic