Rover 414? - DaveKent
Hi all. Going to look at a Rover 414 (new shape) and a Rover 214 (m reg) this afternoon. Is there anything about these cars that I should keep a look out for?

Regards,

Dave

Rover 414? - Imagos
click on these links

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m

good advice here.
Rover 414? - Imagos
then click on dropdown menu for Rover 400 etc
Rover 414? - blue_haddock
The main thing with these is to look for head gasket failure - the K series engine is extremely prone to it. Check for sludgey mayo type stuff under the oil filler cap and in coolant tank.
Rover 414? - Nickdm
My Father used to run a 1997 Rover 414 at the same time as I had a 220D. Can't compare engines of course, but the 400 was a lot more spacious and airy inside. Better equipped than the 214 equivalent too I think? If the 400 costs only a fraction more that is the one I would choose.

My sister is still running the old man's 414; about 100k on the clock now and still very reliable. Only glitch to look out for is a small water leak at the top of the windscreen: nothing to do with the seal, but the leading edge of the roof has begun to rust. You can't see the rust with the naked eye but you do see the raindrops on the inside of the car occasionally....
Rover 414? - DaveKent
The main thing with these is to look for head gasket
failure - the K series engine is extremely prone to it.
Check for sludgey mayo type stuff under the oil filler cap
and in coolant tank.

If there is a head gasket problem, how much would it cost to replace?

Many thanks.
Rover 414? - Imagos
If there is a head gasket problem, how much would it
cost to replace?

You will need a deep pocket.
Rover 414? - king arthur
>> The main thing with these is to look for head
gasket
>> failure - the K series engine is extremely prone to
it.
>> Check for sludgey mayo type stuff under the oil filler
cap
>> and in coolant tank.
>>
If there is a head gasket problem, how much would it
cost to replace?
Many thanks.

If it's not too far gone then a simple HG change can be done for anywhere between £200 - £400. If the head needs skimming, it will be more. If that work has already been done once and the HG goes again quickly, it means the work wasn't done properly the first time and you may need a new cylinder head.

However, despite all the talk of head gasket problems, it still only affects a small percentage of cars. Just keep an eye on the coolant levels, make sure the radiator fan is working, and the K-series is as reliable as any other engine.
Rover 414? - oldgit
Have just recently sold my second Rover (last December) in part exchange for a new 1.6SE Golf MKV.

The Rover, a 414i hatchback, with sunroof and aircon was bought new in 1998 and had covered only 38k miles when I sold it in Dec. 2004.

It had its fair share of problems the worst of which was a juddering clutch from about 20k+ miles onwards. This was my second Rover, both with 1400cc K series engines, and both of which had developed clutch judder. All previous cars that I'd owned had never had clutch judder and so I think I can exclude my driving technique?

A repair, together with a major service due in January 2005 made the arrival of my new car in December essential otherwise I was going to be faced with a bill for some £700 and the car in p/x was only worth £1500 or thereabouts.

Overall, however I liked the car, not knowing any better, then. The Rover was very comfortable although every magazine says that it has an horrendous driving position. The engine is excellent although perhaps married to an unreliable or inadequate clutch mechanism. I did not have head gasket failure but did have inlet manifold gasket failure resulting in loss of coolant however Rover paid for the repair (£150 or thereabouts). Almost from the off, I had a slight transmission oil leak from a half-shaft oil seal, a fault that despite several visits to the garage was never completely rectified but it was a very small but annoying leak. It did leave a number of spots of oil on my new block driveway which used to annoy me and I spent many an hour with the blowlamp burning them away!

I found that the main dealer servicing was quite alarmingly expensive and rarely had annual bills below £250 excluding any surprises that they might throw at me - the last one being that in January 2004 when they said that I needed new discs (not pads, I hasten to add) in order to pass the MOT.

Well it's gone now and I own what will be, hopefully, a more reliable car. I think that the Rover 400 or 45 as it has become is well past its sell-by date but at the price they are probably quite good value for money stil.
Rover 414? - No Do$h
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=10126&...f

Worth a look.
Rover 414? - DaveKent
Well I bought the Rover 414i. Think i've got a good one. fsh, new rad, cam belt done 15,000 ago, everything works etc.No signs of head gasket problems. Fingers crossed it will last awhile...

Anyway, theres some fine scratches on the passenger side (like its brushed a bush).

Whats the best scratch remover on the market to take these out?
(Blue matalic paint if this helps)

Regards,

Dave