Golf cam belt/chain - drayton
I have a 1999 Golf V5 and have received a reminder from my VW dealer that the cam belt is due for replacement (vehicle over 5 years old or 60000 miles - actual mileage is 41000).
Before going back to dealer can anyone confirm that this 2.3, 150 bhp engine is chain driven and does not need any attention
I know a VW dealer should know but!!
Many thanks.
Golf cam belt/chain - El Dingo
Seems to be a timing chain in the books... What's the engine three letter code?
El Dingo.
Golf cam belt/chain - drayton
Sorry for delay in response - been off line.
Engine no - AGZ016974.
Golf cam belt/chain - GGH
I don't know this engine at all, but I seem to remember a report that this engine does have chain and tensioner problem like the Dolomite Sprint and Stag had. Sorry if my memory is at fault but it is due to my age. Just out of interest the Sprint chain problem was cured by fitting a German made chain!
Golf cam belt/chain - cheddar
I had a Sprint, the chain and tensioner were fine up to 90k however I had to do the head gasket once and accordingly shim the valve clearances, also the water pump went and it was a nightmare getting the interference fit pump body out of the block, otherwise great fun, o/d on 3rd & 4th gave very useful ratios, handling was good though grip less so therefore opposite lock was often used, brakes not up to the performance caused moments when the pedal went soft, the heart stopped the car didn't.