Citroen AX 14d cambelt - CheapNcheerfull
Hi, I'am a little nervous as this is my first time on a
website;)

How easy is it to check the cambelt on a 14d AX and what would I look for to indicate a change is required ?

Any guidance appreciated.
Citroen AX 14d cambelt - tomboy
I dont know the car but if you haven't got any history as to when the belt was last changed. CHANGE IT.
It's a false economy to take the belt off, think it looks ok and then refit it. For the sake of £10 or £15 buy a new one and have peace of mind that your good for another 40 - 50,000 miles.
ps while your at it renew the tensioner as well.
good luck
Citroen AX 14d cambelt - madf
SWMBO's 1.4 diesel Peugoet 106 has same engine and is due a new belt which I have bought and plan to fit this week.(plus new alternator drive belt)

A Haynes manual (sh ex Ebay or borrow from local libarary ) is very comprehensive. (says you need a special tensioning tool.. untrue..)

To check you need to remove the covers : which if you take all 3 off is 1/3rd of job. My first time I expect to take about 3 hours.

To check belt check for cracks - teeth side: or oil contamination or any visible wear.

You also need a number (3) of 8mm bolts to fix the pump/crankshaft and 1x 6mm for the camshaft to lock all into position. (suitable sized drill bits are OK).

Remove the glow plugs to amke engine rotation easier (cover with rag to ensure no dirt entry.)

I think you may need to jack up the driver's side front wheel and remove it to gain access to mid/lower cover and crankshaft pulley: you have to on a 106.

madf

Thanks for the advice guys, I realise the importance of changing the belt, and was hoping for an easy option as the car is on 120k and has a leak somewhere inside behind the dash which I have no intention of trying to find, also I have given up trying to figure out why the cooling fan does not operate but I have so far got away with it, but the cambelt would not be so forgiving !!! Let you know the outcome once I have checked as advised.
www.peugeot-club.com/servis/manualy/205/0932-02c.p...f

describes how to do it on a 1360 petrol engine. The diesel is similar - shields are different

madf

Citroen AX 14d cambelt - Chuffer Dandridge
I paid £85 for a garage to replace the cambelt on my peugeot 106. I think you need a good 3-4 hours and some experience to do it diy.
Thanks everyone for the advice, once I feel brave enough to attempt it I will let you know how it goes, that is unless it goes in the mean time !!!!
Citroen AX 14d cambelt - MW
How/where did this manual get put on the web. Its great. Are there any others?
It's an (illegal) copy of a Haynes manual I found through searching. The rest of the website was Polish or Czech .. lots more info there IF you can read the language (I can't)

madf

Just completed the 106 diesel cambelt. A few problems due to acesss and overtightened bolts on one timing belt cover - a Peugeot garage changed the cambelt 7 years ago. The old one was in good nick and all idlers/tensioners/water pump fine. Auxiliary drive belt was clapped.

A few tips.
A 10mm Halfords professional ratchet spanner is very useful in undoing all the inaccessible cover bolts.
The square iron rod from a domestic door handle (cut to length) fits the square hole in the tensioner wheel exactly. Add a small length of aluminium at one end - 90mm long - and you can make the recommended tensioning tool with a 2kg weight (I used an old towing bracket!)See the correct Haynes manual.
Jack up the drivers side wheel and remove supported on axle stands for better access.
I supported the engine under the sump (large piece of wood+ trolley jack) and removed the top engine mount for better access.Requires some nudging to refit:-)

Be prepared to derust various bits and pieces.

I now appreciate Ford design: the 106 has a myriad of little bits - surely there is a better way to design cars?

madf

madf,

Thanks for your guidance, I will try to have a quick check of the belt by removing the top cover first and if I have any doubt will change it. I know it has been changed twice in it's 117k miles so in theory should have a few K left in it, thats assuming the intervals where correct.