Volvo S60 - Brake pads, replace when? - WipeOut
My charming and lovely local Volvo garage, while not fixing the power steering fault my car went in for mentioned that my tyres and brakes were severely worn and would need replacing very soon.

I checked the tyres and they have 6 -7 mm of wear left, hardley severly worn; in fact new last July and I haven't really used the car much!

Does any body know the measurement for when disc pads need replacing as they look fine to me?

Thanks WipeOut
Volvo S60 - Brake pads, replace when? - GrahamF1
Couple of mm. They're having you on, don't fall for it.
Volvo S60 - Brake pads, replace when? - SjB {P}
If you whip the wheels off to check brake pad thickness, don't forget to check both the outboard and inboard pad for each wheel. A friend once only checked the former, because it was easy to see, and ended up scoring one - and thus replacing both - front disks because an inner pad was worn more heavily than the others. The pad consequently wore right out, and metal to metal contact resulted.

Volvo S60 - Brake pads, replace when? - SjB {P}
BTW, I can't recall if the S60 (or my V70) has sliding calipers that make the problem I described more prevalent. (Essentially the caliper can seize up with brake dust and muck, and take more effort to slide, with the result that one pad does more work than the other)
Volvo S60 - Brake pads, replace when? - Cyd
Yes. 3mm friction material safe minimum. 2.5mm absolute min.

Did they give the tyre report in writing? if so, forward it to Trading Standards. If not, complain to the Dealer Principle anyway.
Volvo S60 - Brake pads, replace when? - WipeOut
There is 6mm of friction material available.

Unfortunately I have no written report, but my father in-law heard them.

It really disgust me. I have some knowledge, not much, about cars. How on earth do people with nothing protect themselves. I suppose they don't!

This was a large franchised garage.

WipeOut