Running in a Diesel - advice please! - SlightlyFatRep
I will shortly be taking delivery of a Volvo S60 D5 2.4 Turbo Diesel. I will be picking it up from a dealer about 200 miles away from home.

For this journey (and subsequent trips for the first thousand miles or so) should I stay mainly on A and B roads giving the engine a mix of cruising speeds and light / hard acceleration or would I be better to sit it on the motorway at mixed cruising speeds. Should I avoid high revs altogether or is this something that it would benefit from?

I have always understood that, whilst production of engines is far more accurate than it was in the old days, a car still needs to be 'run in' for a while to let things bed in.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their advice so I can give the car the TLC it no doubt deserves?

Also am I best to give it 'Top Of The Range' diesel for the first few tanks or give it the normal stuff from day one?

It will only get normal stuff for the rest of it's life as it is a company car and the company (and I!) would resent the unreasonable premium there is on these so-called premium fuels. I know they are often given the thumbs up by people but the reality is I won't use them.

Much appreciated!!!

Gavin
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Dynamic Dave
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=32
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27247
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29843
Thanks Dave.

Any thoughts on the choice of fuel used for the first few fill ups?
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Happy Blue!
BP Ultimate is supposed to be the best diesel fuel with Shell a close second.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - googolplex
BP Ultimate is supposed to be the best diesel fuel with
Shell a close second.

For 'best', insert 'most expensive'.

As things stand, we are yet to see any credible scientific evidence to back up the standard diesel fuel advice offered on this site.
Splodgeface
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Ex-Moderator
I agree. And its equally true about "optimax" type petrol as well.

Loads of comment, but no evidence, that either is anything other than significantly more expensive than the alternative.

And as for the subjective claims about performance, economy or smoothness - Heisenburg principle anybody ?

Ditto supermarket petrol/diesel versus the expensive stuff.
Thanks for the input.

Whether it is subjective or not, the question is still there as to whether to treat the car to posh juice to start with or treat it mean from day one with normal BP stuff (I like my Nectar points!)?

Running in a Diesel - advice please! - David Horn
I felt that Shell Diesel Extra (available nearly everywhere, 84p in Leeds) made a huge difference to the running of my Xsara 1.9TD. Quieter, smoother, and more willing.

Mind you, a friend bought a new Peugeut 306 HDi a couple of years ago and the dealer told him not to bother running it in at all, and to treat it like a petrol when he drove it.
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - cheddar
My Mondeo TDCi runs marginally better on BP Ultimate, Shell or Texaco than other brands. The point about premium fuels though is not just the perception as to how the car drives, it is also the lubricity of the fuel, vital on a diesel engine, on this point supermarket fuels are apparently deficient.

With regard to petrol my Vectra V6 was both crisper and up to 10% more economical on Shell Optimax than even normal 95ron Shell thus making it no more expensive to run on Optimax.
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - mark999
The lubricity additive for diesel is added at the refinery. Other additives are added at the point of delivery. It is these additives that distinguish the brand.
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - quizman
I agree. And its equally true about "optimax" type petrol as
well.
Loads of comment, but no evidence, that either is anything other
than significantly more expensive than the alternative.
And as for the subjective claims about performance, economy or smoothness
- Heisenburg principle anybody ?
Ditto supermarket petrol/diesel versus the expensive stuff.

So you say the advice given by Honestjohn is wrong.

I agree with HJ, over the years several of my cars seem to run better on Shell/BP etc. Also the Shell diesel at my nearest station is the same price as the supermarkets, 84.9p last time I went past.
>>So you say the advice given by Honestjohn is wrong.

To help you follow the conversation these two comments would be the basis;

Initial comment

>>As things stand, we are yet to see any credible scientific evidence to back up the standard diesel fuel advice offered on this site.

my reply
>>I agree. And its equally true about "optimax" type petrol as well.
>>Loads of comment, but no evidence, that either is anything other than significantly more expensive than the alternative.

In case you still haven't got it, the point was about absence of evidence.
Sorry Mi Lud, I think I am getting it.
Who is this chap "Heisenburg", I have never heard of him.
A good program for TV, "Judge Mark (RLBS) of the Bailey"
basically it states that the mere act of measuring something causes it to change.

Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Stargazer {P}
Almost, but not quite. Heisenbergs Uncertainty Principle = it is impossible to determine simultaneously with equal and unlimited precision certain pairs of variables associated with the motion of a particle, eg velocity and momentum.

So measuring something like mass of a particle increasingly accurately means that we know less and less about the velocity of the particle.

deltaX.deltaP >= h/2*pi

StarGazer
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - NowWheels
Sorry Mi Lud, I think I am getting it.
Who is this chap "Heisenburg", I have never heard of him.

Since the usual backroom pedants seem to be neglecting their duties, I should point out that the man's name was actually "Heisenberg".

Big cheese in the German nuclear fission program (which is nothing to do with atomic-powered trawlers).
I've looked old Heisenberg up on Google, Max Planke and all sorts of fastenating facts.
If anyone suffers from insomnia, epecially after a hard drive, look him up and read. You will soon drop off.
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Altea Ego
Read HJ's advice on running in a diesel, its good enough. I was slightly more aggressive in my running in schedule, and I have to say it has produced the goods. 36k miles, uses no oil, gets near the manufacturers mileage claims, and performs and feels perky.

BP ulitmate? nice stuff, does feel miles better in use, but not enough to justify the cost.

I dump some millars in the tank, give it a thrash in the 500 miles prior to the service in the assumption it will clean out crud and suspend it in the oil which then gets changed. Dunno if it works but it sounds sensible and makes me feel happy!
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - nand
taking HJ's faq 4 further " make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week. The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil."-how do I hit the 4500rpm mark, in the bmw 530d automatic, by the time it has reached 2500rpm it is already cruising at 80mph
any thoughts?
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Altea Ego
Use the gear shift to hold gears as you accelerate.
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - nand
thanks
do you mean shifting it to the 'S' mode from the auto mode and driving in low gear
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Ed V
Wow, I thought company car drivers didn't give a deleted

Are you taxed on nectar points for company mileage?
Wow, I thought company car drivers didn't give a deleted
Are you taxed on nectar points for company mileage?

Working for a relatively small company it is in my interests to keep the cost of running the car down to a minimum.

We try and save money wherever possible, cheap flights rather than the normal ones, etc. We have always bought nearly new cars as well, only breaking that rule for the Volvo because of an exceptional deal.

I would resent paying extra (in the region of 10%+!)for a premium fuel if it is not giving us 10%+ better value in other areas. Not nessesarily speed, as I try to avoid the fines / points anyway.

An atmosphere of keeping costs down where possible is good for business and also means when we have had a good year we stand a better chance of a more generous bonus. What goes arround comes arround......

No, we are not charged tax on Nectar points.
(Yet). Mind you, it's budget day today so you never know...........:0)

Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Jim M
Not sure sure but don't all 5s have Selectronic?
Push gear lever sideways and pull back or push forward to select gear. Leave it in this mode (after manually selecting gear) and entering and exiting roundabouts is quite fun.
Jim
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - doctorchris
I couldn't believe it when I picked up my diesel Terrano 5 years ago and read in the handbook not to exceed 50mph for the first x hundred miles (can't remember exactly how many).
Irritating as I collected it from Motorpoint in Derby a couple of hundred miles from home in Sunderland.
Well I kept it up for a few miles, got fed up and drove home at roughly 70mph.
After that a good mixture of driving conditions and speeds and at 53,000 miles the engine is as good as new and burns not a drop of oil.
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - doctorchris
Just re-read the manual, do not exceed 50mph for the first 1,000 miles!
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - steveb
For the first nine months of its life my diesel Leon (1.9 TDi 110) was used as a short term lease car, driven I would expect with no mechanical sympathy at all - never mind a running in regime.

15,000 miles later the engine is (relatively) quiet warmed up, smooth and powerful, and uses no oil despite being red-lined 3-4 times a week.

As long as you don't overdo the revs in the first 1000 miles I wouldn't worry about running in.

Steve
Sounds like no one knows whether to treat it mean from day one or not as far as posh fuel is concerned.

I have therefore decided BP Normal diesel it is from day one.

Unless there are any convincing arguements to do otherwise for the running in period...............? :0)
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Chad.R
Just returned from the Highlands where my hire car was a Vectra SRI 1.9CDTi, it only had 120 miles on it when I picked it up. I certainly gave it a good running in ;-)

A few weeks previously, they gave me a brand new (petrol) Scenic with only 6, yes six, miles on the clock. I had to thrash that so hard to get it up and down the A9 at a decent pace, it was dangerous not to mention annoying. It did loosen up after 200 miles or so and the mpg picked up too.
Running in a Diesel - advice please! - Imagos
Mr slightly you may be interested in this thread..

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26166&...f
Very kind. Cheers!

(Tugs forelock gently..)

:0)