BMW 530D Versus Merc E 270CDI - TheGrocer
So how do rate them?
I am torn bettween the BM530D and the Merc E 270CDI. Which is the better car??
Both look good, great residuals etc. I need the car for 3 years will pay cash and want a 1 year old with less than 10k on the clock. Which would you choose and why??
BMW 530D Versus Merc E 270CDI - cheddar
E320CDi?
BMW 530D Versus Merc E 270CDI - MichaelR
530d - better performance, more refined and a quieter engine. The Merc sounds more like a diesel both at idle and under acceleration than the 530d. 530d is also the more sporting of the two to drive.

530d - but make it an E39, the looks of the new one make small children cry.
BMW 530D Versus Merc E 270CDI - Pugugly {P}
No question - 530d....
BMW 530D Versus Merc E 270CDI - Adam {P}
Got to echo Cheddar. Take a drive in an E320 CDI. Everyone knows I prefer BM's over Mercs but the 320 is a monster.

You won't be asking this question once you drive it.
--
Adam
BMW 530D Versus Merc E 270CDI - Jim M
Both are great cars but for me 530d

Thoughts form the Yemen desert ;+)
E39 530d good second hand buy - good second hand sale -conventional

Merc - lots of buttons, not as good engine, foot operated park (can you better half live with this?),Merc somehow feels "big" and ponderous - personal opinion

BMW 530d, styling is different - but gaining acceptance. i drive needs mastering but once set up is good (Merc management has stated that their own cars have too many electric functions).
Depends on the quality of your local dealers Merc v BMW. or independants.
To me one on the best analergy (?) is Apple v Microsoft
Jim
BMW 530D Versus Merc E 270CDI - NickG
I went through the 530D -v- 320CDi choice before Christmas. After much deliberation, the 320CDi won. Final reasons were:

1. Engine. Although the BMW diesel is a quieter and smoother engine, I didn't feel that the difference was sufficient to sway me. However, the 270CDi Merc engine is quite a bit worse in my opinion - something to do with 5 cylinders I'm told.

2. Performance. Whoosh! Not a lot in it, to my mind. Both very fast, and very frugal (for their size!). The BMW is a better "drivers" car, but I so rarely get to drive on open roads that I wasn't bothered. The Merc is more "statesman" like.

3. Comfort. Merc wins. More comfortable seats and better ride quality. Just got back from Souther Germany, did nearly 600 miles in one day, and got out as fresh as a daisy.

4. Interior. Prefer the Merc, but only in Avantegarde trim, not a fan of the Classic or Elegance. The BMW is good, but I thought the Merc had better materials, and was better put together.

5. Exterior. Well, I find the 5 Series a bit too challenging. Actually, no, I just can't stand it! Merc!

6. Image. Having driven a BMW for 6 years prior to this change, it amazes me how much nicer people are to Mercs. My driving style etc. hasn't changed, but peoples reactions to me have. Sorry BMW, but I quite like being treated with a bit courtesy!

So, the Merc won. It wasn't a huge victory (apart the exterior), but there was enough to make my choice clear.

I would have considered the Audi A6 as well, but my local Audi dealer in Docklands has been so awful whenever I've had dealings with them that it's put me off the brand! Which is probably a shame, but as Jim M said, a lot comes down to the quality of the dealer.

Nick