"The Government is listening to motorists.... - Bill D
Anti-roads lobby hails rejection of new routes

14 December 2001

Green campaigners hailed a change in the Government's transport policy yesterday as it rejected a series of controversial road-building schemes on environmental grounds.

The Department of Transport announced it was giving the go-ahead to just 15 of the 44 major road projects submitted by English councils.................

..............Transport groups said the package showed a shift against road-building in government.............. [?!]

...................In addition to £555m for road improvements and bridge strengthening, local authorities will receive £620m for smaller schemes for buses, public transport, cyclists and pedestrians.

Mr Spellar approved 110 schemes to speed the movement of buses, 1,700 local road safety schemes, up to 50 new or extended park-and-ride sites, some 600 extra miles of cycle routes, 100 miles of new footpaths and 2,400 new or improved road crossings.

Larger schemes include a £17.9m revamp of Barnsley bus station, a £20.9m plan to develop bus lanes into Leeds and an £8.9m park-and-ride facility to reduce congestion in Durham.

"The Government is listening to motorists...................

From: news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?st...4

So what is it that they have been saying to him?
Re: "The Government is listening to motorists - mybrainhurts
The government does NOT consult, it just gets suggestions in, then writes back to tell the writers that they're wrong.

I know, I've been there twice.
Re: "The Government is listening to motorists - Andy
In their first term, this caring, sharing NewLabour 'government' always acknowledged my letters (usually concerning their ridiculous anti-car schemes) and then passed them on to the relevent department. A full reply would then follow.
Now they are safely in power for a second term, they no longer bother.
Re: "The Government is listening to motorists - MPA
I spend a lot of time working in Europe. Britain (and particularly the labour government and President Blair) has become a laughing stock. The government has centralised everything, tied everything up in bureacracy and listens to no one.

Clarkson got it right in last week's Sunday Times

Someone once wrote that the next new political party should be one of motorists and one policy should advocate the use of the angle grinder agianst the speed camera.....
Re: "The Government is listening to motorists - careful driver
ill vote for that