Cavalier GLS V6 - jabenedicic
I have a couple of issues that I would like some advice with.

Firstly, the engine management light randomly comes on and goes off again. Sometimes just for seconds, other times for a minute or so.

Another issue that may well be linked is that it sometimes feels like I am taking my foot on and off the accelerator, but I'm not. Also the idling can be a little eratic at times.

Second, the traction control light never turns off.

Lastly, the temperature guage never moves, if you touch the wires together it will move.

Many thanks,
JB
Cavalier GLS V6 - Dynamic Dave
Re: the ecu light:

You *might* be able to flash up the error code using a paperclip. Details here:-
www.topbuzz1.carenthusiasts.co.uk/info/fault_codes...m

Re: the erratic idling:

Possibly the idle speed control valve might want cleaning. No idea where located on the V6 engine though.

Re: temperature gauge:

As the gauge moves when you short the wires together, it's more than likely the thermostat is stuck open and needs changing. This might also be the reason for the erratic idling as the engine isn't getting hot enough and the electronics keep adjusting the fuel/air mixture just like an old fashioned choke would do if the engine were cold.

T/C, no idea, apart from is the abs also faulty?
Cavalier GLS V6 - John S
DD

You're right that the traction control system uses the ABS system to detect wheel spin. If the ABS light is going out, and ABS is working the chances are the fault is in the traction control electronics.

JS
Cavalier GLS V6 - Civic8
Its surging..the engine management is getting confused (for want of better way of saying it)The temp guage sender has failed and so not telling management system what the temp is..This will cause the surging ie erratic revs.Unless you have another problem.possibly as DD said.I would replace sender first.If that wont work go for thermostat..But my guess is temp sender..Cant help on traction control though Sorry..
--
Steve
Thanks for the replies. I will look into the answers you've all given tomorrow if the weather is any good.

About the ABS, it does work and the light is off unless the system is enguaged (it gave me a shock the other day in the snow, never had ABS before).

If I can't get the error code myself, I hear that Vauxhall dealers can do an ECU diagnostic for £20 or so, is that true?
Cavalier GLS V6 - Civic8
Father in laws Corsa cost £50 plus vat.Just to tell him what he already knew..Forget the code.But got it as mentioned before!
--
Steve
Cavalier GLS V6 - Dynamic Dave
If I can't get the error code myself, I hear that
Vauxhall dealers can do an ECU diagnostic for £20 or so,
is that true?

Any garage with a reader can diagnose error codes. Not sure if yours requires a tech1 or tech2 reader though.
I got the temp sender from Vaux this lunchtime, need to fit it now. One of the guys there mentioned that there is another one that controls the fuel injection located in the same place as the temp sender, he said it was more likely to be that one that is causing the ECU probs and idling.
The car took a turn for the worse this evening, and completly conked out. The battery light just stays on when I try to turn it over, could be the alternator I guess.

Jason.