Telephone nonsense - Anthony Farrar
I had reason to telephone Royal Sun Alliance about my car insurance.

I was given a number by Directory Enquiries. I got through and immediately had to press 5, then I was given 3 options (I pressed the relevant one) I was given 4 options (I pressed the relevant one), I was given 3 options (I pressed the relevant one), I was given 3 options (I pressed the relevant one) and arrived at the switchboard who promptly put me hold, then came back and said the department I wanted was busy - so what was all the button pressing and choice selecting about? She gave me a direct number to call. I tried it and got through to the wrong department. "Shall I transfer you...?" NOT ON YOUR LIFE MISSUS".

To my mind big companies just don't want to talk to their customers anymore. The bigger the company the more blocks are placed in the way of callers

This automatic telephone answering and re-directing has gone too far. I resign.
Re: Telephone nonsense - ian (cape town)
I'm trying to find a letter about this, which appeared in the telegraph a while back.
A gentleman, who has known his bank manager for 40 years, and lives 200yd from the bank, has to dial 15 digits, and take 15 minutes, to get through, thanks to an automated answering system.
however, if he phones his son on some remote south pacific island, he dials 7 digits and is connected in seconds...
what price progress?
Sorry to veer of teh motoring topic, but ...
Re: Telephone nonsense - Andrew Wills
just had similar prob with 'em getting thru with change of vehicle notification - then "their computer" sent me cover note with wrong registration -
Always remember Hutber's Law:"Improvement Means Deterioration"
Re: Telephone nonsense - markymarkn
not really motoring, but I had to ring BT about my ADSL screwing up

In one phone call I got put through 6 different lines and still no one could help me.

Its a joke. I'd much rather talk to a person on the other end, but it still doesnt always solve the problem.
Re: Telephone nonsense - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
It seems that in the interests of customer service and improved efficiency these modern phone systems just foul everything up even more. I have discovered a novel way of bypassing this....... WRITE A LETTER, preferably to the absolute head honcho, you'd be amazed how quickly and accurately they respond because it is a physical bit of paper. The MD or whatever is miffed because it has landed on his mahogany desk which is usually insulated from the plebs (you and I) and he wants A RESULT!!!!!!
Re: Telephone nonsense - Adam Going
Ignoring the numerical options and repeatedly pressing the "hash" key on your telephone will often fox the system and get you transferred direct to a real person. No known way of preventing them screwing it up, 'though !

Adam
Re: Telephone nonsense - ladas are slow
when i rang hyundai about the auto box, it went like this.... rang number, receptionist answered, i said what the problem was, and she put me through to the service department, i talked to someone who said that they would 'just take a minute to check the prices', 15 minutes later a different person picked up the phone, i said what the problem was, and he said i had been put through to the wrong department, it was the parts department i needed, so i was put through to them, they quoted a price, but when i asked about the fitting cost, they said that i had to speak to the service department about that. i felt like screaming.

p.s.

i hung up.
Re: Telephone nonsense - Mark (Brazil)
ladas are slow wrote:
>
> when i rang hyundai about the auto box, it went like this....
> rang number, receptionist answered, i said what the problem
> was, and she put me through to the service department, i
> talked to someone who said that they would 'just take a
> minute to check the prices', 15 minutes later a different
> person picked up the phone, i said what the problem was, and
> he said i had been put through to the wrong department, it
> was the parts department i needed, so i was put through to
> them, they quoted a price, but when i asked about the fitting
> cost, they said that i had to speak to the service department
> about that. i felt like screaming.
>
Now I am impressed with their telephone system. Fancy the system knowing it was you.
Re: Telephone nonsense - THe Growler
How about a system which calls itself Private Personal International Banking that:

* operates from 0900 to 1700 UK time; (1800-0200 my time)

* keeps you waiting up to 15 mins on hold at int'l rates 85 cents/min telling you how much it really appreciates your business via a recording of a bored person with b ored diction made at the bottom of a well, before connecting you with someone called Darren with chronic sinus trouble;

* requires you to answer up to 10 questions correctly, inclusing the color of intimate articles of your grandmother's apparel, before deigning to acceopt you are thge person whop has entrusted your money to them since 1983;

* offers no prize for answering these questions correctly;

* advises "aah, you 'ave to call anuvver number fer card enquiries........."

Welcome to you B-------s Small wonder service in UK is going to hell in a handbasket.
Re: Telephone nonsense - careful driver
lloyds are the worst, they have implemeted a call centre strategy with no idea how to look after customers, it shows
Re: Telephone nonsense - Tomo
I agree about writing a letter, if possible, not least because I am now a bit tone deaf and cannot cope with the accents (standard English is fine, but highly endangered; Scotch or Scouse or whatever is hopeless, especially when they start to shout - I mention Scotch not to be chauvinist, using that word correctly).

This has led to the observation that some organizations (Swansea, I think, for a start) are becoming less than forthcoming with addresses. I expect we are getting to the point where a lot of staff can't read properly, or write a coherent letter. The MD can't answer everything!

As to how anybody can claim that we have a SERVICE economy..........!
Re: Telephone nonsense - Alyn Beattie
Tomo

Scotch is an alcoholic drink. The inhabitants of Scotland are Scots or Scottish

Just thought I'd mention that.
Re: Telephone nonsense - Alwyn
And they don't like being called Jock.

Said my good friend Eddie Garratt, ex Queen of the South footballer, "Not so much of the Jock, how would you like it if I called you Taffy, eh!"

Wouldnae bother me Jimmy :-)

Lang may your lum reek (with other peoples coal)
Re: Telephone nonsense - Colin M
Back in the 1980's, every time you rang Curry Motors, the girl would answer "Hello, Curry Motors, nice people to do business with, how can I help you?".

They then ran a special offer and the receptionist then had to answer every call, in one breath, with "Hello, Curry Motors, nice people to do business with, £300 cash back offer now on, how may I help you".

Me "Do you really have to say that to everyone that calls?"
Curry Motors tired receptionist "What department do you want?"

I follow Adam's suggestion, except don't press any buttons, the system assumes you have a Bakelite pulse dial telephone and immediately puts you to the front of the "real person" queue.
Re: Telephone nonsense - colin
I reckon the title Customer Service is a misrepresentation. However todays DT carries an ad which suggests contacting the Consumer Service Department. The ad is for dog food. Damn clever, some of these dogs.
Re: Telephone nonsense - Darcy Kitchin
I have a hand in running a small computer company. A couple of years ago our then Customer Services manager pruduced a survey which said an overwhelming number of our customers would like a call management system. This was duly installed with state of the art (then) ISDN phone system.
Immediately we began to get sarky comments from those who rang us and then actual complaints even though callers only had to press one button to choose a department. The comments and complaints were along the lines of "hiding behind technology" and "why can't we speak to a *real* person".
The system is now switched off during working hours. Out of hours it diverts calls to an answer machine, oh, and our Customer Services manager is in Canada.
Re: Telephone nonsense - Clive
I worked for a financial institution until recently and I know these call centres are all the rage now. Instead of having local branches for local people you buy a big shed in the middle of nowhere and cram in about 200, often inexperienced, staff to answer calls and reduce costs. A freelance consultant told me some large companies have now assessed the true costs of running these centres and found they are not all they are cracked up to be but they don't like to admit it. He mentioned one case where someone rang their insurance company to advise a change of vehicle and having been transferred a number of times eventually found themselves talking to the Child Support Agency in Taunton. I've heard of outsourcing but that's ridiculous.
Martyn will throw me off for this, but it is Christmas.

A morning in Bangkok.........

Room Service: Morny, rune sor-bees.

Hotel Guest: Oh sorry, I thought I dialed room service.

Room Service: Rye, rune sore-bees. Morny. Jewish to ordor sunteen?

Hotel Guest: I'd like some bacon and eggs.

Room Service: Ow July then?

Hotel Guest: What?

Room Service: Aches. Ow July then? Pry, boy, pooch..?

Hotel Guest: Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, Scrambled please.

Room Service: Ow July thee Baycome? Crease?

Hotel Guest: Crisp will be fine.

Room Service: Okay. An Santos?

Hotel Guest: Ugh.....I don't know....I don't think so.

Room Service: No? Judo one toes?

Hotel Guest: Look, I really feel bad about this, but I just don't know what judo- one toes means, I'm sorry.

Room Service: Toes! Toes! Why Jew Don Juan toes? Ow bow eengligh mopping we bother?

Hotel Guest: English Muffin! I've got it! Toast! You were saying toast! Fine. An English Muffin will be fine.

Room Service: We Bother?

Hotel Guest: No, just put the bother on the side.

Room Service: Wad?

Hotel Guest: I'm sorry. I meant butter. Butter on the side.

Room Service: Copy?

Hotel Guest: I feel terrible about this, but ....

Room Service: Copy. Copy, tea, mill.

Hotel Guest: Coffee! Yes coffee please. And that's all.

Room Service: One minnie. Ass rune torino-fie, strangle aches, crease Baycome, tossy eengligh mopping we bother honey sight, and copy. Rye?

Hotel Guest: Whatever you say.

Room Service: Okay, Tenjewberrymud.

Hotel Guest: You're welcome.
Excellent. Tell me it wasn't the Hotel Asia, I've had conversations just like that.

Thank you, laughing allowed really helped my hangover [not].
Re: Telephone nonsense - Brill
Velly bruddy funny.
The Nana Hotel off Sukhumvit Rd as I recall Mark. No prizes (if you know Bangkok) for imagining the circumstances of waking up ready for b/fast in that particular establishment.....
Isn't that where Cabbages and Condoms is near ?